In the company I work for we have multiple ISP's who have all delegated DNS responsibilities to our 3 DNS servers.
I have created all the forward zones and reverse zones the data appears to be correct.
How ever for some strange reason the mail server does not have a PTR record causing emails to bounce back.
I have tried searching around here for a problem similar to this and I constantly run into people who have the same issue but didn't have there ISP delegate responsibility to them.
In my situation the responsibility has been delegated and prior to this situation we were running BIND and everything functioned correctly. We have only made the switch over less then a week. We changed a few IP addresses but not the mail servers and one of the ISP's reverse zone with respect to ptr records doesn't work at all. The other ISP reverse zones function correctly.
Another thing to mention is reverse look ups work when using nslookup directly on the server, however using nslookup server 126.96.36.199 or a similar global dns server only forward look ups work. With the exception of the other ISP's we deal with, where all records work.
I have tried everything i can think of and everything seems correct. I have ruled out a firewall or router issue and have contact all the ISP's to double verify there configuration is correct.
I really hope this is a configuration issue with windows dns that I am missing and not something super complicated. In a situation like this If i am correct any changes i make to our external dns servers are pushed out immediately.
The only issue i can think of that would remotely effect this is the fact that the external dns servers are not part of active directory and therefor the host name of the machine does not accurately reflect the domain. I have been planning to append the dns suffix in advanced properties but feel like this is related maybe.