Outlook email with PDF sent to Lotus Notes arrives as winmail.dat, not so simple
Posted on 2008-10-18
I have a user on Outlook trying to send a PDF or Excel attachment to a user on Lotus Notes and it arrives as winmail.dat. That is apparently pretty common but I have been through all the tech notes I can find with no success. I tried to put all steps in the order implemented.
Sender is on Outlook 2003, Windows XP SP2 as are 5 others in the same office. Identical update status, very similar hardware. They have Exchange 2003 SP2 on a SBS 2003 with ISA Server 2004. Also on the server is GFI Mail Security. Everyone goes through this server. The problem is only from this one computer and only as this one users login. That is the puzzle.
He can log in at another computer and it is ok. Another user can log in at his computer and it is ok. They are not on roaming profiles. On the receiving end it does not matter any of 5 recipients all have the same results. I set the contacts in Outlook to plain text only and made sure the email showed that when composed. I set the defaults for all contacts to plain text. I created an entirely new user account for this user and disabled the old user account. I have ESET Nod32 antivirus and have tried with email scanning disabled and with the entire antivirus disabled. The computer is a brand new Dell and was originally on XP SP3. I have had factory installs and SP 3 both create issues before so I formatted the drive and started with a clean XP SP2. I have been testing with common PDFs and Excel files to insure they attachments were not corrupt. I removed and reinstalled Outlook 2003 trying at the new install level and then updated to SP3 and tried. I took it up to Outlook 2007 and tried and then applied all updates to Outlook 2007.
At first I retained the same primary email on the account so that outgoing email would still be under his email address and have since changed that to reflect an entirely new email address in case there was filtering on the incoming servers for the recipients.
I am currently waiting on feedback on 16 email tests varying user, computer, text or html, and outgoing email address but I know there is still an issue. I have made so many changes I wanted to verify again exactly what combination worked and not.