Currently we are running a Windows 2003 Server and a Windows 2000 Server as Domain Controllers. As far as I remember the 2003 server is the FSMO role holder, but I will check this and make it so if it isn't.
I am looking to make our new Windows 2008 member server into a domain controller and demote the existing controller.
Having done some reading on this I want to confirm that the following steps are correct.
1. Ensure the 2003 server is the FSMO role holder and transfer the roles to it if not.
2. On the 2003 server run the forest prep and domain prep commands from the 2008 server DVD.
3. Promote the new 2008 server to be a DC.
4. Install and configure DNS on the new 2008 server.
5. Demote the 2000 server and uninstall the DNS role from it.
6. Install the DNS role on the new 2008 server and configure it.
7. Transfer the FSMO roles to the new 2008 server.
I know step 7 isn't required here but I also need to rename my existing 2003 server to bring it in line with parent company naming convention so I will have to demote it, rename it then promote it again.
If I have missed anything, or got the order wrong I would be very grateful for any corrections or hints.