?
Solved

Performance counter fails when running against a remote system

Posted on 2008-10-21
5
Medium Priority
?
539 Views
Last Modified: 2010-05-18
The issue seems to be specific to the file "pdh.dll".  I replaced this file with a version from the Windows XP cd, and I get the same error message.  This only happens when running the performance counter against a remote machine.  It will start, write a few lines of data to the file, then quit and brings up an error report window.  When I run a similar performance counter against the local machine, it works just fine.  

This worked fine just a few days ago, now it just errors out.  Any suggestions as to what is causing this to happen?

OS System info: Windows XP SP3

Error message:
Faulting application smlogsvc.exe, version 5.1.2600.5512, faulting module pdh.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00023618.
0
Comment
Question by:jgrimmpgh
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 18

Expert Comment

by:sk_raja_raja
ID: 22770605
Sart > Run msconfig
Click on the tab marked "Startup"
Click the Disable All button.

If the problem no longer persists then one of the items in the starup is the culprit you just need to track it down.
0
 
LVL 18

Expert Comment

by:sk_raja_raja
ID: 22770631
Can you recreate the problem by logging in to the same machine with other user account ???
0
 
LVL 18

Expert Comment

by:sk_raja_raja
ID: 22770634
0
 

Author Comment

by:jgrimmpgh
ID: 22770755
Nothing has changed on the machine from the last time it worked until now. Also, I can login to the machine remotely and run the performance counter, and it still fails.  I can still run the local performance counter with no issues, it's just the one being urn against the remote PC that fails.  

Any other suggestions??

Also, if i change the type of logs file that is being save to bnary it works just fine, however it needs to be saved as a comma delimited file.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
jgrimmpgh earned 0 total points
ID: 22825106
The problem has been solved.  The issue was being caused by the Description field of the counter.  When we removed the Description from the counter, everything ran just fine.

0

Featured Post

Why Off-Site Backups Are The Only Way To Go

You are probably backing up your data—but how and where? Ransomware is on the rise and there are variants that specifically target backups. Read on to discover why off-site is the way to go.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article provides a convenient collection of links to Microsoft provided Security Patches for operating systems that have reached their End of Life support cycle. Included operating systems covered by this article are Windows XP,  Windows Server…
In the absence of a fully-fledged GPO Management product like AGPM, the script in this article will provide you with a simple way to watch the domain (or a select OU) for GPOs changes and automatically take backups when policies are added, removed o…
This Micro Tutorial will give you a basic overview of Windows DVD Burner through its features and interface. This will be demonstrated using Windows 7 operating system.
This is used to tweak the memory usage for your computer, it is used for servers more so than workstations but just be careful editing registry settings as it may cause irreversible results. I hold no responsibility for anything you do to the regist…

764 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question