why do mapped network drives disconnect after being left idle?
Posted on 2008-10-21
Hi, A customer of mine runs a program which is shared from a windows 2003 server and after being left for a while the mapped drive seems to disconnect. This completely crashes the program that is being used abd potential data loss too. each time this happens the computer needs to be restarted and then log back in to the network and start again. I have tried:
1. sharing the program from another computer on the network - no difference.
2. if they close the program down and then reopen it when coming back to the computer - this works but is a massive inconvenience..
3. changed the idle time suspension locally and on the server. no difference
4. unticked the nic power management so that doesn't disconnect the session. nothing!
5. changed the router and still no difference.
6. ran the best practice analyzer tool and everything seems fine on the server.
7. upgraded the network to a gigabit network, which needed doing anyway due to running Sage.
sbs 2003 is running the domain with windows xp on all clients.
I have read on a few other sites that this is a problem in general but nobody seems to have an answer.
anyone out there any ideas?
would be grately appreciated.