Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people, just like you, are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
Solved

Cisco router bandwidth limit and/or manipulation between two sites

Posted on 2008-10-22
4
851 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-05
I have a situation where I am splitting a DS3 line to 2 sites.  The DS3 line comes into my Cisco 3800 router on interface Serial 1/0.  From there I have 2 Gigabit Interfaces Gi0/0 and Gi0/1.  I have traffic routing for 1 block of IPs to Gi0/0 and another block going to Gi0/1.  All that works great.  My question is about limiting bandwidth.    The link is not a full DS3, we are only supposed to get 10 megs (although speed tests show 35200 kb/s down and 33332 kb/s up).  My goal is to guarantee at least 75% of the bandwidth to GI0/0 and the remaining 25% to Gi0/1.  If the link is not being used by one interface, the respective interface should be able to use the whole thing.  I would still like to use the 10megs for calculation as I am not sure of the longevity of my current speeds.  
Thank you -  

0
Comment
Question by:ochsis
  • 2
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 13

Expert Comment

by:Quori
ID: 22783205
What IOS version are you running?
0
 

Author Comment

by:ochsis
ID: 22788963
(C3825-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(17a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

0
 
LVL 13

Expert Comment

by:Quori
ID: 22790535
Mmm, perhaps one of the more experienced experts can chime in and correct me here - but IPBASE has very little ability for traffic management - QoS, rate-limit, etc.

You may need to look into ADVIPSERVICES.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
ochsis earned 0 total points
ID: 22791040
I was using the rate-limit command but I was getting very odd results.  The speed test would jump all over the place.  
0

Featured Post

PRTG Network Monitor: Intuitive Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring is essential to ensure that computer systems and network devices are running. Use PRTG to monitor LANs, servers, websites, applications and devices, bandwidth, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more. PRTG is easy to set up & use.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
EIGRP - redistribute without the default route 5 55
Cisco 3560 Switch with Multiple Gateways 10 73
Connect two buildings 6 47
EIGRP Bandwidth 9 18
If you are thinking of adopting cloud services, or just curious as to what ‘the cloud’ can offer then the leader according to Gartner for Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) is Amazon Web Services (AWS).  When I started using AWS I was completely new…
Shadow IT is coming out of the shadows as more businesses are choosing cloud-based applications. It is now a multi-cloud world for most organizations. Simultaneously, most businesses have yet to consolidate with one cloud provider or define an offic…
After creating this article (http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/23699/Setup-Mikrotik-routers-with-OSPF.html), I decided to make a video (no audio) to show you how to configure the routers and run some trace routes and pings between the 7 sites…
After creating this article (http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/23699/Setup-Mikrotik-routers-with-OSPF.html), I decided to make a video (no audio) to show you how to configure the routers and run some trace routes and pings between the 7 sites…

789 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question