Solved

Task with 1 day duration being split over 2 days

Posted on 2008-10-23
7
1,681 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-15
I have a task with a duration of 1 day that keeps being split over 2 days. I have my calander set so that resources work a 10 hour day from 7am - 5pm (no break). However when I put in a task and give it a duration of 1 day its starts the task at 7am on one day but does not finish until 8am the next day. The onyl way I can get it to start at 7am and finish at 5pm on the same day is to put a duration of .9 day (and work of 540 min). I have gotten others task in the project to appear correctly (for the same resource) but it seems I get to a certain point where it just refuses to schedule the work evenly over 1 day. Any ideas why?
0
Comment
Question by:cmwahlstrom
7 Comments
 
LVL 92

Expert Comment

by:Patrick Matthews
ID: 22794988
Hello cmwahlstrom,

The first thing I would check is whether the task has a dependency on another task lasting less than a day.

Example:

Task 1 starts 10/23 at beginning of day and has duration of, say, 0.75 days
Task 2 has duration of 1 day, and starts on completion of Task 1

In this case, Task 2 will break over 2 days...

Regards,

Patrick
0
 
LVL 15

Expert Comment

by:dbase118
ID: 22795840
Are there any other custom schedules in your project? It does sound as if whichever day you are working with has only allocated 9 hours of work-time for that given day. I would think it must be something in the calendar definitions that is triggering that . Can you do a capture of your calendar screen with the drop down that shows all calendars?
0
 

Author Comment

by:cmwahlstrom
ID: 22809188
All my tasks go for whole days. There are no tasks that go for less then a day. And up until a certain oint in the project the work is being spread evenly over the days. I have attached a screenshot of where it starts to go wrong and also one that shows the particluar calendar being used for the first person it starts to go wrong for. Hopefully his might make it a bit clearer.
Calendar.JPG
project---calendar-issue.JPG
0
Ransomware: The New Cyber Threat & How to Stop It

This infographic explains ransomware, type of malware that blocks access to your files or your systems and holds them hostage until a ransom is paid. It also examines the different types of ransomware and explains what you can do to thwart this sinister online threat.  

 
LVL 15

Expert Comment

by:dbase118
ID: 22809657
cmwahlstrom,

Task number 66 which you have highlighed has two icons in the information column (Blue I). The top icon is a calendar with a blue square which indicates a date constraint. When you point to the other icon what information pops on your screen. I noticed it was the only task with that second icon, wondering if maybe something got defined there for the task by mistake.
0
 

Author Comment

by:cmwahlstrom
ID: 22809841
I had switched that task to use the same calendar as the resource (just to make sure everything was using the same calendar). Even when I switch the calendar back to the dfeault of None in the Task Details the same thing happens
0
 
LVL 17

Accepted Solution

by:
aflockhart earned 250 total points
ID: 22839740
If you look on Task Usage, and zoom the timeline in to show individual hours,  does this tell you anythign useful about when the work is actually being schedules ?  (i.e does it tell you which hour is not being worked ?)

Also, remember there are 2 overlapping calendars that both need to be right: the resource calendar and the project calendar.  Time will only be treated as 'working time' if it is marked as working time in both calendars ( and also in any calendar that you have set up for the specific task.)

0
 

Author Comment

by:cmwahlstrom
ID: 22847310
Well it would seem that Project was refusing to start the 1st day of some shifts (shifts are typically 4 days long) at 7am but would happily start the second day (and subsequent days) at 7am. It was then also only scheduling 13 or 14 min work for some 15 minute time brackets, so all of this was pushing it over into that extra day. I have manually changed all the tasks in the task usage section to start at 7am and for each resource to work the full 15 minutes for each 15 minute bracket. This seems to have it now appearing as it should. I am just not sure what caused it to do it in the first place. The straneg thing is on some shifts it would work fine yet on other shifts for the same person it wouldn't (yet it would for other resources on the same shift.
0

Featured Post

Salesforce Made Easy to Use

On-screen guidance at the moment of need enables you & your employees to focus on the core, you can now boost your adoption rates swiftly and simply with one easy tool.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

MS Access 2003 or later To MySQL Migration Project Hello All, this is my second article in the category of MS-OFFICE Automation. In internet I am not able to find any comprehensive resource on the Migration of MS Access back-end to MySQL so I fin…
The canonical version of this article is on my web site here: http://iconoun.com/articles/collisions/ A companion presentation is available here: http://iconoun.com/articles/collisions/Unicode_Presentation.pdf
Viewers will learn how to maximize accessibility options in an Excel workbook for users with accessibility issues.
Viewers will learn the different options available in the Backstage view in Excel 2013.

808 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question