I have a windows 2003 R2 SP2 server that I'm using as a file server to store user home drives. The files are all stored on a LUN on an equallogic PS400E array. The server is using a QLOGIC QLE4060C iSCSI hba with SANsurfer iSCSI HBA Manager software V 5.00.32 to connect to the LUN.
I have a handfull of clients that will randomly lose their mapped home drives, and when I say lose i mean they disappear completely. The funny thing is that none of the other mapped drives seem to be affected, nor does e-mail, internet connectivity, etc. The mapped drives that are unaffected are on other servers which leads me to think that the problem is server-side, however i'm confused as to why this would only be affecting 6-10 users out of 1100.
All workstations are running windows XP SP2
All network drives are being mapped via a KIX logon script
Here are the steps I have taken thus far:
Originally I thought the problem was due to the server running low on nonpaged pool memory (There were a few errors stating this in the event log) so I followed this microsoft KB to disable the SNP Features. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496/
This has eliminated the errors in the eventlog, but users are still having their drives disappear.
I found that the power management option that allows windows to turn off the NIC card was enabled on some of the clients; I disabled it, but don't know if this has helped or not. I'm skeptical that it will do anything because no other network reliant applications and no other network drives are being affected.
I checked the GPO to see if the "Hide and Disable all items on the Desktop" option is configured, it isn't
I've looked through event logs on the server and the clients and can't find anything that looks to be related.