DNS returning incorrect information when client uses PPTP from remote locations
Posted on 2008-10-24
I have mobile users who are having issues when connecting from home. They can connect to the network however when they attempt to access anything by its friendly name the application or shared drive is unable to connect. For example Outlook can not connect to the exchange server, or remote desktops will not connect to a server, but if I attempt to connect by IP there is no issue. If I open a command prompt and ping a server using its IP I get a correct reply, however if I use the name of the server I get a reply from an IP address that is not for that server. No matter which server I ping I get the same IP address reply 184.108.40.206. If I hibernate the workstation and bring it in to the office and repeat the ping the correct IP is returned. I have taken multiple workstations to a remote location that has the issue and they all return the same IP of 63.266.162.129. I tried this with different builds from know good images that predate the issue to heavily used ones. This is happening at multiple remote locations.