I'm stuck on my niece's Home XP. Apparently, the DNS query engine isn't working and it's very annoying. This is the same problem as in ID:20932429, but no real solution was post there.
I can nslookup almost anything, but other programs can't do any successful query. Check out the code fragment.
This is a home based PC with a DHCP connection. Apparently the DHCP works, the DNS server works and the connection works. I can nslookup resolve an establish an ip-number based connection.
I've been digging this a while now. Apparently DNS functionality is being hyjacked, but I don't know how.
I did find a browser helper that worked as a "url filter" and managed to do more things adding this to the hosts file: avg.urlseek.vmn.net. I disabled the helper and some others, but I'm still getting problems.
I even installed a local BIND server but the simptoms stays the same: BIND do resolve names, but the application can't reach them. Applications are: IE7, Firefox2, ping, ftp. Other tools provided by BIND like "dig" and "host" also can resolve just right.
Unknown host ftp.isc.com.
Non autoritative answer:
Connected to 184.108.40.206.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.1 Server (DreamHost FTP) [220.127.116.11]