as400 i5 restore data library with no logical files to system with logical files
Posted on 2008-10-27
* I have two as400 i5 systems with identical data library structure and physical files.
* Development system has new logical files against the physical files.
* Production system does not have those new logical files.
* I need to restore (refresh) from production data library to same development library.
* Specific scenario 1: the new logical files on the development system are in the same library as the physical files on the development (and corresponding) library in production
* Specific scenario 2: the new logical files on the development system are in a different library than the physical files on the development (and corresponding) library in production
* I am not the as400 i5 systems manager but I was notified that the most recent restore from production to development of the data library failed because the new logical files in development were in a different library than the physical files
* The new development logical files were deleted from development and the restore was successfully performed.
* The new logical files have been recreated on the development system so that they now reside in the same library as the physical files
* The new logical files were created automatically by the i5 os as a result of SQL "create index" commands.
* They are not like old-fashioned logical files in that they do not have DDS source files.
* I have found that they could have DDL source files, but they do not at this time.
* The as400 i5 systems manager is capable but relatively new to the as400 i5. He did not have detailed information about the problem. What might have been the problem?
* Was the problem related to the fact that the development logical files in question where in a different library than the physical files, and the restore of just the data library failed because of that?
* Will placing the new logical files on the development system in the same library as the physical files fix the problem?
* Is the problem actually that logical files exist on the development system and not on the production system?
* If restoring just a data library from production to development, must any logical files on the development system have to already exist in the production library being restored?
* Will the development logical files that do not exist in production be wiped out upon restore from production to development?
* How does the fact that these new logical files are not traditional DDS logical files fit into the scenario in general.
I know that some of the questions above may be redundant or inter-related, but I am trying to nail down just what I need to do to ensure that development library restore/refresh from production does not prohibit logical file creations in development.
Also, my question applies to traditional logical files as well as new DDL logical files. The answer may be the same or not. I apologize for the broad nature of this question. I am hoping that there is a general answer that applies to all logical files regardless of type.
Thank you for any and all help, as we are about to restore/refresh from production to development again very soon and I need some guidance in this area.