Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1083
  • Last Modified:

Windows Mobile won't connect to exchange with SSL

Dear Experts,

Recently we installed SSL wild card cert from RapidSSL on our Exchange server. I tested OWA and HTTPS site works, I was able to succesfully connect the iPhone Gen2 devices to Exchange using SSL, however my Windows Mobile 6.1 (HTC Mogul with Sprint) will not connect no matter what I do.
I am not pushing the SSL from Exchange yet, but I did test with the option Require SSL from Exchange (still no luck). At first I had this issue with WM 6.0, so I then flashed the device and installed WM 6.1 but still having an issue. I tried setting it up wirelessly first and received; "Error synchronizing". Setting it up through Activesync on PC resulted in the same issue.

I also tried connecting to OWA from my phone through HTTPS:  then installed the cert, logged into e-mail, but after configuring e-mail to use SSL on the phone still having an issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0
technomic
Asked:
technomic
  • 3
  • 2
1 Solution
 
ParanormasticCryptographic EngineerCommented:
Don't use wildcards with exchange - that is your problem.  You will need to get a seperate cert - if you need to combine names use a UCC (multi-domain) cert instead in this case.
0
 
technomicAuthor Commented:
Paranormastic,

You maybe right that the wild card cert may cause an issue with WM devices while still working fine for iPhones. One of my consultants used the same cert for another one of their clients, but they didn't encounter these issues. Unfortunately, I can't purchase another cert right now and I need to get this resolved. Do you think there is a workaround to resolve this ?
I found the article below, I'm not sure if it will help...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915840
0
 
technomicAuthor Commented:
You maybe right, I did transfer the cert to device and installed it, but still having the same issues.
I also receive Support Code:85010016 when attempting to sync the device using ActiveSync.
0
 
technomicAuthor Commented:
i was able to finally resolve it. The cert did not properly instal on the WM device. At least it didn't display in the Intermediate Certs, I haad transferred the cert to the phone one more time and was able to install it and finally connected.

Thanks for your help.
0

Featured Post

Lessons on Wi-Fi & Recommendations on KRACK

Simplicity and security can be a difficult  balance for any business to tackle. Join us on December 6th for a look at your company's biggest security gap. We will also address the most recent attack, "KRACK" and provide recommendations on how to secure your Wi-Fi network today!

  • 3
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now