We currently have three ESX 3.5 hosts, one ESXi host and no SAN. All hosts are using local storage. We currently have a VMware Infrastructure Foundation Acceleration Kit which includes:
3 Licenses of VMware Infrastructure Foundation
1 License of VMware Virtual Center Foundation
Support and Subscription
(2) Dell PE 2900 12GB RAM, each has 8 146GB 15K SAS drives, RAID 10
(1) Dell PE 2950 16GB RAM, 8 146GB 10K SAS drives, RAID 10
(1) Dell PE 2600 4GB RAM, This is running ESXi and holds a VM running Virtual Center (VC)
Critical Applications needing HA and DR
- MS SQL 2005
- MS Exchange 2003 Standard
- IIS 6.0 Web server
- File server
- Upgrade the local storage on both 2900s with 300GB 15K SAS drives ($7,500)
- Purchase a Dell MD1000 and populate it with the 146GB drives from the 2900's ($4,000)
- Move the 2950 and the MD1000 offsite which will become our DR site
- Purchase 3 copies of Double-Take for Virtual Systems; this gives us 15 licenses of Double-Take for Windows to be used on VMs only ($20,000)
- Total = $31.5K
Double-Take would be for HA between the (2) 2900s and to replicate to the 2950 at the DR site.
We are open to purchasing a SAN but it seems that by the time you spend 25K on an entry level SAN and add HA to our existing VMware license 5K ($2,500 per host x2). This puts us at $30K plus and we would still need to purchase software for replicating to our DR site. I would also consider the SAN a single point of failure.
- Recovering time, less than 30 minutes for HA
- Recovering time, less than 60 minutes for DR
- Manual intervention ok put would prefer an automatic solution
- Is Double-Take 32bit only?
- Being Penny wise pound foolish
Please give me your feedback, suggestions and ideas on my solution and the Double-Take software.