Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 310
  • Last Modified:

Make disk (D:) after installed SBS on C: (20% of total disk space)

I have just installed SBS R2 on my Server. Under installation I formatted the disks and choosed to use 20% of total disk space for the system disk (C:). But the rest (80%) of the disk space was never used... and in "My Computer" I just see the C: disk with the size of 25GB. How do I get the rest 80% of total disk to be a second disk called D: ?
0
webressurs
Asked:
webressurs
  • 5
  • 3
  • 2
  • +1
6 Solutions
 
pcrequestCommented:
You need to Disk Management to initialize the disk.  Right click My Computer | Manage | Disk Management.  Look at both the top and bottom pane.  Youll find the unused disk there and youll right click the object and use a wizard a initialize.  I dont remember exactly what youll encounter here.  Search Windows Help for Disk Management
0
 
Philip ElderTechnical Architect - HA/Compute/StorageCommented:
In the disk manager right click on the unused space on the system disk and create a new Simple Volume. Setup the settings accordingly. Note that your optical may currently reside at D:, so use the change drive letter task to change it (right click and change drive letter on the optical).
Philip
0
 
webressursAuthor Commented:
In Disk Management I see the Unallocated disk space as a "black box". When I right click it I can choose "New partition...". Here I can choose between Primary partition or Extended partition. What shall I choose for my D: disk?
0
Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
Philip ElderTechnical Architect - HA/Compute/StorageCommented:
Simple Primary Partition.
Philip
0
 
tigermattCommented:

I suspect you will find the CD/DVD drive in the server will have been allocated the 'D' drive letter; rather than cause potential problems changing this letter, I would suggest you simply allow the new partition to take the drive letter 'E', which is what Windows will suggest.

-tigermatt
0
 
webressursAuthor Commented:
Hi Philip! Sorry many questions.. I see on our other server that the D: disk is "Extended partition" with "logical drive". Why do you reccomend "Primary Partition" for my D: disk?
0
 
webressursAuthor Commented:
Tigermatt: Can I just give the DVD drive another letter first, example E: ? Then give the Unallocated space D: drive letter?
0
 
tigermattCommented:

You can, it shouldn't be a problem. You'll need to right-click on the CD drive and use the options to change the CD drive letter before you create the new 'D' drive.

-tigermatt
0
 
webressursAuthor Commented:
Ok, now I have DVD as E: drive. But, does anyone know why MPECSInc reccomend Primary Partition for my D: disk? I see on the other server we got that D: disk is Extended Partition with Logical Drive. I just want to be sure this is correct from the beginning :)
0
 
webressursAuthor Commented:
By the way... The server run Raid 5. Is this something to think about when choosing Primary or Extended partition?
0
 
tigermattCommented:

To be honest, it doesn't really make a difference whether you use a Primary or an Extended partition. I would normally go Extended Partition with Logical Partitions, since there is a limit of 4 Primary Partitions on a Hard Disk.

-tigermatt
0

Featured Post

Concerto's Cloud Advisory Services

Want to avoid the missteps to gaining all the benefits of the cloud? Learn more about the different assessment options from our Cloud Advisory team.

  • 5
  • 3
  • 2
  • +1
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now