Solved

DHCP Relay - ip helper-address

Posted on 2008-10-28
5
1,666 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-05
Hello,

If your Router is working as a DHCP Relay and you have more than one ip helper-address command what actually happens:

1. The Router forwards the DHCP Discover to the first DHCP Server and if this one does not respond then the Router works sequentially down the list until a Server makes a DHCP Offer to the Client?

2. The Router forwards the DHCP Discover to all DHCP Servers defined by the multiple ip helper-address commands and the first Server to respond with a DHCP Offer Message?

Thanks in advance :)
0
Comment
Question by:MarcBorst
  • 2
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 3

Expert Comment

by:Darksied9
ID: 22821544

1. The Router forwards the DHCP Discover to the first DHCP Server and if this one does not respond then the Router works sequentially down the list until a Server makes a DHCP Offer to the Client?

This is accurate, I would suggest configuring the DHCP servers with the 80/20 Rule.  Put 80% of each subnets available addresses on the primary with 20% on the backup.
0
 
LVL 16

Accepted Solution

by:
btassure earned 50 total points
ID: 22821553
It passes the broadcast to all the listed ip-helpers. After that the router doesn't care about the traffic other than passing it back and forth. So 2) is the way it works.

0
 
LVL 16

Expert Comment

by:btassure
ID: 22821567
Are you sure Darksled? Our implementation works the same as point 2...
0
 
LVL 43

Expert Comment

by:JFrederick29
ID: 22821838
The router handles it via option 2:

2. The Router forwards the DHCP Discover to all DHCP Servers defined by the multiple ip helper-address commands and the first Server to respond with a DHCP Offer Message?
0
 
LVL 3

Expert Comment

by:Darksied9
ID: 22821893
Ha!  Sorry, I miss-read that.  Basically you are right option 2 is the way it works, however...  When you deploy a DHCP service scenario you should remember that the client will accept the DHCPOffer from the first server that responds to the DHCP request.  Keeping this in mind, the 80/20 rule is good for redundancy especially if you have more than 1 subnet (which you do if you are talking about helper addresses).

So, place your two DHCP servers in two different subnets (site differentiated if you can) and Set one to server 80% of the leases for the subnets nearest it (in terms of latency) and the other for 20%.  Do the same with the other.  Be sure not to overlap the address spaces at all.

Sorry for the error, I will be sure to double check the questions next time.  :)
0

Featured Post

VMware Disaster Recovery and Data Protection

In this expert guide, you’ll learn about the components of a Modern Data Center. You will use cases for the value-added capabilities of Veeam®, including combining backup and replication for VMware disaster recovery and using replication for data center migration.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Migrating DHCP network settings from vlans 2 65
Command "logging persistent size .... " 6 45
DHCP Failover Relationship caveats 6 95
Understanding split up wire 10 30
The Cisco RV042 router is a popular small network interfacing device that is often used as an internet gateway. Network administrators need to get at the management interface to make settings, change passwords, etc. This access is generally done usi…
Configuring network clients can be a chore, especially if there are a large number of them or a lot of itinerant users.  DHCP dynamically manages this process, much to the relief of users and administrators alike!
After creating this article (http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/23699/Setup-Mikrotik-routers-with-OSPF.html), I decided to make a video (no audio) to show you how to configure the routers and run some trace routes and pings between the 7 sites…
After creating this article (http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/23699/Setup-Mikrotik-routers-with-OSPF.html), I decided to make a video (no audio) to show you how to configure the routers and run some trace routes and pings between the 7 sites…

919 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

21 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now