Active Sync is prompting users for username and password

I just fixed an OWA problem by resetting the exchange iis virtual directories as described in this article:  http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Resetting-OWA-Folder-IIS-security-permissions-Exchange-2003.html it seemed to work wonderfully but now my mobile users are having trouble accessing Active Sync. They have been using Active Sync on their windows mobile phones for awhile and now they are seeing the login prompt and are unable to log in. I think perhaps I need to change the security settings on the active sync virtual directory but I'm not sure what to choose.  At this point there are no items checked in the Directory Security Authentication Methods dialog box for the Active Sync Virtual Directory.
DawnMcCrearyAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
 
dfxdeimosCommented:
Do they connect via SSL? If so try checking the basic authentication option.
0
 
DawnMcCrearyAuthor Commented:
I checked basic authenticaiton and it is still not allowing active sync.
0
Creating Active Directory Users from a Text File

If your organization has a need to mass-create AD user accounts, watch this video to see how its done without the need for scripting or other unnecessary complexities.

 
dfxdeimosCommented:
Do you use SSL?
0
 
dfxdeimosCommented:
Also, does it report an error code?

Do you see any relevant event log entries on the Exchange server?
0
 
DawnMcCrearyAuthor Commented:
We do not use ssl. The only error code appeared after I tried to access OMA. I see OMA error 1503. I'm working on the links in the answer above now.
0
 
DawnMcCrearyAuthor Commented:
I checked basic on the Exchagne-OMA virtual directory and was able to get to OMA. However my test user is still unable to sync with active sync.
0
 
Exchange_GeekCommented:
Glad to see atleast OMA started to work. How about Auth on Active Sync ??
0
 
DawnMcCrearyAuthor Commented:
Active Sync Auth is set to basic only
0
 
DawnMcCrearyAuthor Commented:
Here are my auth settings in Exchange IIS:
OMA = Basic - Default Domain \
MobileAdmin = Basic Default Domain \
ActiveSync=Basic - Default Domain \
GroupShield = Non Selected
ExchWEb = Enable Anonymous
Exchage-OMA = Basic - Default Domain and Realm crcindustries.local
Exchange = Basic - Default Domain and Realm crcindustries.local
EXAdmin=Integrated
OWA is working as expected, windows mobile devices not able to connect. Device prompts for username and PW and does not successfully connect. I can connect to OMA with a browser.
0
 
DawnMcCrearyAuthor Commented:
I found the answer to my active sync problem. This site lists the active sync errors. My error was 85010014.
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/exchange_errors.php
I tried the very first suggestion for 85010014 "Verify that the HTTP server is available and try again. May require user to de-select sync items (Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks) and re-select them to reset the sync key." and it worked. Deselect all items on the PDA or Phone then reselect them. Wonderful.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to troubleshoot this for me. I'll award the points to Exchange Geek because his suggestions made sure my settings were correct before going forward.
0
 
DawnMcCrearyAuthor Commented:
The settings suggested were perfect for the exchange server. However, the next step is to reset Active Sync on the PDAs and phones. Thanks for all of your help.
0
 
Exchange_GeekCommented:
Wow, glad to see your issue solved - good solution offered for EE Forums.

Take care.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.