Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 337
  • Last Modified:

NSLOOKUP Default Server suddenly is .com instead of .local

Suddenly for no known reason all my workstations are attempting to resolve thru my .COM instead of .LOCAL. In my primary location I have my DCs running mydomain.LOCAL, all my workstations in the same standard /24 subnet are all joined to mydomain.LOCAL. I have a satellite location connect by VPN where I have mostly only servers running mydomain.COM. I do have an in & out Realm transitive trust setup between the two. Nothing major has changed in the last 2 months and then today in the middle of the day my I received complaints that sites ending in mydomain.COM were not resolving from mydomain.LOCAL workstations. A closer look into the situation I see that when I do a NSLOOKPUP on any mydomain.LOCAL workstation it says:

C:\>nslookup
Default Server:  colodc01. mydomain.COM
Address:  10.0.172.10

However, to further confuse matters all of my Servers in mydomain.LOCAL say correctly:

C:\>nslookup
Default Server:  caldc01.mydomain.LOCAL
Address:  172.27.23.34

I have a temporary fix with resolving those mydomain.COM websites simply by adding those to the colodc01.mydomain.LOCAL DNS. That's fine to do, they were never needed there because nothing should route through that satellite location.

The bigger issue is what's shown in nslookup, and it looks like I may be having some A/D issues as well relating to this. Any clue to why this happened or better yet how to fix it? I check all the basic stuff, and even those most of my workstations are using DHCP, even those that are static are also having this issue. All workstations are having this issue.
0
p1techservices
Asked:
p1techservices
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
RowleyCommented:
Does the dns servers IP specified in the LOCAL clients network config match that of 10.0.172.10?
0
 
p1techservicesAuthor Commented:
No, all (dot) LOCAL clients only have a DNS server of (dot) LOCAL DCs which is 172.27.23.34 & .30. As far as the. LOCAL clients are concerned they should not even know that .COM or the 10.0.172.x exist.
0
 
RowleyCommented:
At a guess, sounds like you're running split-dns and it's got its knickers in a twist. Have you checked your DHCP servers scope settings? Also, are there any rogue ptr records for caldc01.mydomain.LOCAL anywhere? Has anyone added another IP or interface to a server somewhere?

You're absolutely sure that nobody has changed anything?
0
 
p1techservicesAuthor Commented:
I did find the answer to this. to start with i removed the Group Policy and that did not help so i made a new policy forcing it to point everything to the right domain .local. then i got into the Active Directory and made some changes to force it to resolve suffix to .local. then i found the IP address in the reg under dns client of 10.0.172.10 which should not have been there so i fixed that. after all this gpupdate would not clear all the systems effected but this issue so i removed the systems from the domain to flush the domain policy then rejoined it to the domain so it would get the new domain policy and it works now. plus the network is in better shape now too.
0
 
ee_autoCommented:
Question PAQ'd, 500 points refunded, and stored in the solution database.
0

Featured Post

Get your problem seen by more experts

Be seen. Boost your question’s priority for more expert views and faster solutions

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now