Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
JTA416

asked on

how do I fix some harddrive issues on a ibm thinkpad t40?

I have a ibm thinkpad t40. It was recently dropped and now I get a error message disk i/o error replace the disc and press any key. I Think it is a harddrive issue but before I replace the harddrive I would like to Make sure It is really the Harddrive. It dropped from the coffee table to the carpeted floor about 3 feet when I started getting this error message. I have no why to access the bios when I hit the access ibm button it tells me service is not installed are there any other whys to get into the bios on this machine? I was going to try and do a format of the drive but I cannot get the disk to boot up either. Why I would like to get into the bios to change the start up order. any help is greatly appreciated..
                                                                                  Thank you
                                                                                    J.T.
akahan
Flag of United States of America image

To get into the BIOS, you have to press the Access IBM button AS THE MACHINE IS STARTING UP.  If you're getting "service is not installed," you're probably waiting too long after turning the power on.
Hi there;

>>service is not installed

It is a message saying no scsi bootable disk found on purticular scsi controller. Normally this message  will come for the scsi channel, where you connect cdrom & DAT drive.

Best regards...
maybe dropping the laptop simply disconnected the disc drive - usually the hard disc is easiley remoaved from the laptop - maybe needs re-seating
Can you boot from a bootable CDROM

try the free UBCD, since it does have the IBM Hitachi disk diagnostics on it.

UBCD bootable CD
http://www.ubcd4win.com

I hope this helps !
SOLUTION
nobus
Flag of Belgium image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Start Free Trial
JTA416

ASKER

I'm sorry I had a family emergency and had to leave the state i'll be working on this problem for the nest few days. Thanks everyone for the help I hope some of the solutions will work out.

I am able to get into the bios without the harddrive installed but with the harddrive installed I cannot get into the bios.
this means a bad disk ; you have to replace it.
to be sure test it on another working system

ASKER

With the harddrive installed to my main computer I have complete access to the harddrive.  I took a spare harddrive out formatted it using a quick format ntfs only file system it allowed me to use. Then put the formatted harddrive in and I get a disc read error has occured press ctrl alt delete to restart. I am able to access the bios using this harddive.

Thank You, Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
then you have a disk controller problem; which means a new mobo.
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Start Free Trial

ASKER

ok I got the ultimate boot cd to loa. I deleted the partition and create a new partition. Here is the steps I did so far
im using ubcd 5.0b5
1)I went to hdd
2)Partition Management
3)Free fdisk v 1.2.1
4)Delete Partition
5)Create Partition
6)I was at q:usr\fdisk7 I typed Format C: got the waning message all data will be lost on drive please confirm I type in YES and I get a Bad command or File
7)Anthoer Problem I just relizaed was that the s key does not work every other key is fine.

Are there any other steps I can take using this cd. Seems like I have alot of options Just not sure what programs to use with ubcd.

Thank You

ASKER

ok I got it to format.I somehow got my s working again. I have the os installing now. Now I would like to try to install the os on his old harddrive is it possible the master boot record got corrupted on the first harddrive when it dropped. I see a tool to recover the mbr? I have my fingers cross this works.
I'm not sure I understand your last post -
1) you have reformatted.
2) you are installeding XP
there is no recovery needed now as you a have detroyed the old data nad replaced it with  a new install.?
or am I missing something?
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Start Free Trial

ASKER

ok with the new Harddrive everything is working great now. With the old Harddrive I put it back in tried to format it. but I was unable to format. Told me it was a bad Disk. When I have it hooked up as a slave to my main comp I was able to access everything on it and save it is that possible with the harddrive being bad?
Thank You Sys and everyone else seems like we are extremely close to resolution on this subject.
That is strange.

I would try again, perhaps the pins were not stratingt,
I would backup the old one from your desktop, and then use imaging software to clone the new drive to the old.

But the drive could be dying and SMART alert could be interfering with usage.

Check using hte free HDtune program to see what th status is or use the vendor diagnostics on a Free UBCD

UBCD
www.ultimatebootcd.com

I hope this helps !
when you tried to format it, was that as only connected drive?
on your othe rpc you can format it too, from disk management

ASKER

Thank You Every one for your Help You answered my first Questions. I'm Going to Open up another Question so you don't lose points. The laptop is working great now Thank you