Solved

how do I fix some harddrive issues on a ibm thinkpad t40?

Posted on 2008-11-01
Last Modified: 2013-11-17
I have a ibm thinkpad t40. It was recently dropped and now I get a error message disk i/o error replace the disc and press any key. I Think it is a harddrive issue but before I replace the harddrive I would like to Make sure It is really the Harddrive. It dropped from the coffee table to the carpeted floor about 3 feet when I started getting this error message. I have no why to access the bios when I hit the access ibm button it tells me service is not installed are there any other whys to get into the bios on this machine? I was going to try and do a format of the drive but I cannot get the disk to boot up either. Why I would like to get into the bios to change the start up order. any help is greatly appreciated..
                                                                                  Thank you
                                                                                    J.T.
Comment
Question by:JTA416
  • +4
20 Comments

LVL 26

Expert Comment

by:akahan
ID: 22859443
To get into the BIOS, you have to press the Access IBM button AS THE MACHINE IS STARTING UP.  If you're getting "service is not installed," you're probably waiting too long after turning the power on.

LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:jazzIIIlove
ID: 22859455
Hi there;

>>service is not installed

It is a message saying no scsi bootable disk found on purticular scsi controller. Normally this message  will come for the scsi channel, where you connect cdrom & DAT drive.

Best regards...

LVL 28

Expert Comment

by:chilternPC
ID: 22859459
maybe dropping the laptop simply disconnected the disc drive - usually the hard disc is easiley remoaved from the laptop - maybe needs re-seating

LVL 63

Expert Comment

by:SysExpert
ID: 22859613
Can you boot from a bootable CDROM

try the free UBCD, since it does have the IBM Hitachi disk diagnostics on it.

UBCD bootable CD
http://www.ubcd4win.com

I hope this helps !

LVL 91

Assisted Solution

by:nobus
nobus earned 75 total points
ID: 22860635
take the disk out, connect it to a working pc as slave, and run the diag on it you need from:
  http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

LVL 31

Assisted Solution

by:rid
rid earned 75 total points
ID: 22861266
Some IBM/Lenovo allow for BIOS setup access if you press F1 immediately after power-on. The Access IBM is likely to be a bit different, since it relies on a recovery partition on the HD. If the HD is bad (likely), you'll not get the Access IBM thing to work, I think. Try F1 or F2 instead.
/RID

Author Comment

by:JTA416
ID: 23047184
I'm sorry I had a family emergency and had to leave the state i'll be working on this problem for the nest few days. Thanks everyone for the help I hope some of the solutions will work out.

I am able to get into the bios without the harddrive installed but with the harddrive installed I cannot get into the bios.

LVL 91

Expert Comment

ID: 23049344
this means a bad disk ; you have to replace it.
to be sure test it on another working system

Author Comment

ID: 23050107
With the harddrive installed to my main computer I have complete access to the harddrive.  I took a spare harddrive out formatted it using a quick format ntfs only file system it allowed me to use. Then put the formatted harddrive in and I get a disc read error has occured press ctrl alt delete to restart. I am able to access the bios using this harddive.

Thank You, Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
How to run any project with ease

Manage projects of all sizes how you want. Great for personal to-do lists, project milestones, team priorities and launch plans.
- Combine task lists, docs, spreadsheets, and chat in one
- View and edit from mobile/offline
- Cut down on emails

LVL 91

Expert Comment

ID: 23050655
then you have a disk controller problem; which means a new mobo.

LVL 63

Accepted Solution

by:
SysExpert earned 350 total points
ID: 23053831
Or it could mean that the BIOS hard drive parameters on  the Laptop and desktop do not match.
It happens, and it is always suggested to format the drive on the machine it will be used on.

I would remove the partition, and use a bootable DOS CD to format the drive inside the laptop

see

UBCD - DOS - linux version - Free
www.ultimatebootcd.com

Build your own emergency boot CD
http://www.bootcd.us/Build_CECD.php

I hope this helps !

Author Comment

ID: 23061145
ok I got the ultimate boot cd to loa. I deleted the partition and create a new partition. Here is the steps I did so far
im using ubcd 5.0b5
1)I went to hdd
2)Partition Management
3)Free fdisk v 1.2.1
4)Delete Partition
5)Create Partition
6)I was at q:usr\fdisk7 I typed Format C: got the waning message all data will be lost on drive please confirm I type in YES and I get a Bad command or File
7)Anthoer Problem I just relizaed was that the s key does not work every other key is fine.

Are there any other steps I can take using this cd. Seems like I have alot of options Just not sure what programs to use with ubcd.

Thank You

Author Comment

ID: 23061211
ok I got it to format.I somehow got my s working again. I have the os installing now. Now I would like to try to install the os on his old harddrive is it possible the master boot record got corrupted on the first harddrive when it dropped. I see a tool to recover the mbr? I have my fingers cross this works.

LVL 28

Expert Comment

by:chilternPC
ID: 23061249
I'm not sure I understand your last post -
1) you have reformatted.
2) you are installeding XP
there is no recovery needed now as you a have detroyed the old data nad replaced it with  a new install.?
or am I missing something?

LVL 63

Assisted Solution

SysExpert earned 350 total points
ID: 23061926
SInce you replaced the hard drive and have a fresh install, you can try to use the testdisk util or MBRWORK to try to recover the original drive.

I would read the documentation first on both before attempting anything, and even consider putting the old drive into an external USB abd Imaging it ( byte by byte iamge ) so that even if the first attempt does not work, you will have the original image to try again.

I hope this helps !

Author Comment

ID: 23062047
ok with the new Harddrive everything is working great now. With the old Harddrive I put it back in tried to format it. but I was unable to format. Told me it was a bad Disk. When I have it hooked up as a slave to my main comp I was able to access everything on it and save it is that possible with the harddrive being bad?
Thank You Sys and everyone else seems like we are extremely close to resolution on this subject.

LVL 63

Expert Comment

ID: 23065120
That is strange.

I would try again, perhaps the pins were not stratingt,
I would backup the old one from your desktop, and then use imaging software to clone the new drive to the old.

But the drive could be dying and SMART alert could be interfering with usage.

Check using hte free HDtune program to see what th status is or use the vendor diagnostics on a Free UBCD

UBCD
www.ultimatebootcd.com

I hope this helps !

LVL 91

Expert Comment

ID: 23067086
when you tried to format it, was that as only connected drive?
on your othe rpc you can format it too, from disk management

Author Closing Comment

ID: 31512404
Thank You Every one for your Help You answered my first Questions. I'm Going to Open up another Question so you don't lose points. The laptop is working great now Thank you

Featured Post

What Is Threat Intelligence?

Threat intelligence is often discussed, but rarely understood. Starting with a precise definition, along with clear business goals, is essential.

Join & Write a Comment

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Windows 10 Hangs 2 46
what font behind pdf 32 102
Faster and Safer Videoediting harddrive setup 12 46
Upgraded ram but no difference 22 42
this article is a guided solution for most of the common server issues in server hardware tasks we are facing in our routine job works. the topics in the following article covered are, 1) dell hardware raidlevel (Perc) 2) adding HDD 3) how t…
This article is an update and follow-up of my previous article:   Storage 101: common concepts in the IT enterprise storage This time, I expand on more frequently used storage concepts.
The viewer will learn how to successfully download and install the SARDU utility on Windows 8, without downloading adware.
The viewer will learn how to successfully download and install the SARDU utility on Windows 7, without downloading adware.

758 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

19 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now