How to reinstall SBS 2000 (not disaster recovery)
Posted on 2008-11-03
I have SBS 2000 running.
In short: I would like to make clean install of Windows 2000 Server, then restore users and computers accounts, restore Exchange mailboxes, SQL databases.
I don't want to make disaster recovery becouse there is software I don't want on this machine after reinstall.
Uninstalling only this unwanted software also isn't best solution.
The main problem is user accounts, their mailboxes and permission to files.
There are about 24 user accounts. Manual creating user accounts isn't a problem. Creating new passwords also, but moving mailboxes from pst files and recreating user permissions to files on server is too much.
So I figured this:
1. Create with ntbackup:
1a. System State
1b. Exchange backup
1c. File Store
1d. backup sql databases (not necessary with ntbackup)
2. Install clean Windows 2000 Server
3. Install SBS, exchange, sql
4. Configure domain name, IP addres like it was before reinstall.
5. Restore from System State
6. Restore exchange, file store (if necessary - it is on different disks), sql
7. Install ISA - it isn't installed now
8. Create disaster recovery procedures.
What do you think about this solution? will it work, what about System State - it contains registry and what will happen when I recreate it without all software installed?
Is there maybe other, better solution?