I have a small network which shares an ADSL broadband connection. One laptop on that network now fails to connect to the Internet. Internet Explorer says 'The page cannot be displayed'. running the diagnostic reveals that the DNS is not working.
] against DNS Server 184.108.40.206. (Type = 0x1, Options = 0x10e8) returns 0x2726
] against DNS Server 10.0.0.2. (Type = 0x1, Options = 0x10e8) returns 0x2726
The first DNS is Verizon, and I found that on an EE thread. The second is the DNS that the network magically assigns by default. I have forced these two DNS entries at this time.
I should mention that at one point, the Laptop reported that it had the same IP address as another computer on the network. I restarted and that was when the problem occured. I had just installed a MS Update - Lord alone knows which one - there are just so many.
I can ping some hosts. I can do NSLOOKUP for some sites. I can still print and see the other computers in the LAN.
I have plugged the laptop into the ethernet, and get the same problem. I have disabled firewalls.
Elsewhere on the network, I have a laptop running Vista which connects perfectly and wirelessly. I have a desktop computer that connects on ethernet. I have a Mac and an XBox also on the Ethernet. For completeness, I have a Wii on the wireless network.