Active sync does not retrieve all messages or calendar


I have a Samsung Omnia with Windows Mobile 6. I have set up active sync to get my emails, contacts and calendar from our Exchange 2003 server. I have set it up to sync to with the ssl box checked and entered in my password etc.

We are running one exchange server that is clustered (active/passive), it is not set up as a front end and does not use forms authentication. We have an ssl certificate applied so the folders are set up with basic authentication and require ssl. I read that this wouldn't work as standard because activesync does not use ssl so I followed the MS knowledgebase article (817379) to set it up.

Now I have a problem when I synchronise. I do not get all my emails from my inbox. For example I currently have 17 items in my inbox and when I sync I only get 3 of then. One from today, one from yesterday and one from over a week ago (random as far as I can make out). My contacts seem to synchronise fine and I get nothing from my calendar. It also does not work if I set the sync to 'as items arrive' it is as though it doesn't check.

I wondered if someone might have done the same set up and have some pointers I have missed.

Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

On the mobile device you have settings for ActiveSync that determine how far back it will download.

Check - In ActiveSync on the device, go to Configure Server and when you get to the Edit Server Settings screen you should be able to edit Settings for Contacts, Calendar, Email and Tasks.

Your email may be set to the last two weeks ... change it to All if you want everything ... don't forget it may fill the memory of your device.
piemckayAuthor Commented:
Hi thanks for your response. I have it set to the last month and download headers only. Unfortunately it seems to miss out random emails. So it downloaded one for today, but actually I have 5 in my inbox.
I don't suppose there is any corellation between the emails that are not downloading?
Creating Active Directory Users from a Text File

If your organization has a need to mass-create AD user accounts, watch this video to see how its done without the need for scripting or other unnecessary complexities.


Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
piemckayAuthor Commented:
I'm not quite sure how to relate that question to this because I don't run front end. If I reset IIS I will have to make the changes as per the Microsoft article again. Although it certainly seems like IIS could be the problem.

I can't see any similarities between the emails that haven't come down.
piemckayAuthor Commented:
I've had a play with IIS and it seems to be synchronising properly now. The only thing I can't get to work is if I set it to As Items Arrive and I don't get a notification. I do however seem to have all the correct emails.

I'll close the question, but thanks for directing me towards IIS.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.