http does NOT work. https DOES.
Posted on 2008-11-04
This is most bizarre and, from different logs I have available, it appears to have started after 0229 AEST 24 October 2008 (not sure if that is relevent).
The LAN has 3 x Windows 2003 Servers and the same is happening on all 3.
IE returns the above error immediately you try to access any http site, either by name or IP address. However, https sites are working.
In my attempts to solve the issue, I have done the following:
- Rebooted modem and router.
- Rebooted servers.
- Uninstalled a Windows Update dated 24 October 2008.
- Installed Firefox.
- Flushed the DNS cache.
- Hard-coded a different DNS server in the TCP/IP properties.
- Repaired the TCP/IP stack.
- Repaired Winsock.
- Connected one of the servers to a completely different LAN, via a different modem and router that is working perfectly for the 20 Win XP clients connected to it.
- Disabled RRAS.
- Confirmed Windows Firewall/ICS was not started. There is no other firewall on the servers.
- I can ping websites without issue, and it properly resolves the IP address of those sites.
- I can telnet to port 80 of those websites without issue.
Any and all hope very much appreciated.
Thanks n regs,