Incoming mail shows up as code

Posted on 2008-11-05
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2011-10-19
Outlook 2003, incoming mail shows up as coded html and pictures come in corrupt text, as example attached here as text file.
have tried all html settings on outlook, but still does the same.
Question by:krakit
  • 3
  • 2

Author Comment

ID: 22902209
Attached with the question is a text file with an example of exactly how the email is received.  The email part shows up as html code, whith the actual email in between, and the pictures turn into text.Can anyone expliain why this is happening?
LVL 47

Accepted Solution

apache09 earned 1500 total points
ID: 23189443
Check that SP3 is installed:

Check that view all email as plain text is not set.

If the above is okay, try Clean Profile
Starting with Outlook closed
Start>Run>Outlook.exe /cleanprofile

If you are using Word as your default Email Editor, resetting your Normal.dot may help

Re-create the Normal.dot Template

To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Search.
In the left pane, click All files and folders.
In the Named box, type normal.dot
Expand More Advanced Options
Place a check in Search Hidden Files and Folder
Then click OK.
When the search process is complete, right-click Normal.dot and then click Rename.
In the box that appears, type Normal.old, and then press ENTER.
Do this for each Normal.dot found.
When All Normal.dot's have been renamed to Normal.old
Start Word.

This creates a new Normal.dot template.

Then try Outlook


Author Comment

ID: 23190789
sp3 is already installed.  however will try the other suggestions and see if that solves it.
LVL 47

Expert Comment

ID: 23229758
Any luck?

Author Closing Comment

ID: 31513594
Tried this solution but apparently the macro security level was set to high and once I set it to low the new messages appeared to read properly. Although the previous messages remained as the full code as before.   Thanks anyways for your helpful tips.

Featured Post

New feature and membership benefit!

New feature! Upgrade and increase expert visibility of your issues with Priority Questions.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

If you troubleshoot Outlook for clients, you may want to know a bit more about the OST file before doing your next job. IMAP can cause a lot of drama if removed in the accounts without backing up.
Take a look at these 6 Outlook Email management tools which can augment the working and performance of Microsoft Outlook to give you a more rewarding emailing experience.
This Experts Exchange video Micro Tutorial shows how to tell Microsoft Office that a word is NOT spelled correctly. Microsoft Office has a built-in, main dictionary that is shared by Office apps, including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word. When …
Many of my clients call in with monstrous Gmail overloading issues with Outlook. A quick tip is to turn off the All Mail and Important folders from synching. Here is a quick video I made to show you how to turn off these and other folders in Gmail s…
Suggested Courses

850 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question