My client makes Acronis full disk incremental backups, backing up the C drive on his Sony laptop running Windows XP to a 250 GB external hard drive. Hes been doing this for years. Suddenly, on October 28th it began to take forever for backups to complete. For instance, instead of 3-5 hours he ran two days ago ran all night and didnt complete.
He brought the laptop to me and I did some general cleanup. This helped with overall performance but not with the backups. He had been running Acronis 7 but I had him upgrade to Acronis True Image 10. I took another external drive and started a backup to it. We didnt wait around to see how long that was going to take but it didnt seem to be making progress after 15 minutes. Acronis also seemed to take a long time to find the drive. The first thing the software does when it starts is to find all the hard drives on the system. Ive seen this on other computers/drives also, where it can take 5-10 minutes for Acronis to find all the drives and get ready to do some work. So I dont know if thats related to the overall problem. Its like the USB suddenly went from 2.0 to 1.1.