Outlook.exe doesn't close when emailing from Acrobat
Posted on 2008-11-06
I have a Windows XP Client with Acrobat 8.1.3 and Outlook 2003 installed. My user will open a pdf in acrobat and click on the email link to send the pdf. She experiences intermittent results. Sometimes an email will be created with the pdf attached, most times though she gets a "The Operation Failed" message.
Further investigation has revealed:
1. "The Operation Failed" message is less likely to show up if she already has Outlook Running. It still does appear, but is sporadic and I can't get it to happen with any consistency.
2. If Outlook is not running and she clicks the email ink in Acrobat, the first time she tries to send that pdf, a new mail message will pop up with the pdf attached. Any subsequent attempt to use the Acrobat email button with this pdf or any other will generate the "The Operation Failed" error.
I've attempted the following fixes:
1. Removed Acrobat 8 and installed version 6 and 7. All acrobat versions are the standard Acrobat, not professional. The problem persisted across all three versions.
2. Uninstalled Office 2003 and resinstalled running the ork removal wizard in between to totally remove all Office components.
3. Upgraded Symantec Corporate Antivirus to Symantec Endpoint Protection.
4. Unchecked the Symantec Add-In in Outlook
5. Unchecked the Fax Server Add-In in Outlook
6. Unchecked the option to "Empty Deleted Items on Exit"
The Outlook Client is connected to an Exchange 2003 server and is not in cached mode. It can send a pdf attachment just fine if attaching the pdf through other means (paperclip or dragging the document into the body of the message, or insert -> attachment)
The user previously had a Windows 2000 machine and this worked fine on there. Since replacing her pc with XP SP3 (fully patched) this problem shown up.
If I observe the task manager while all this is going on, the outlook.exe is started by the email button in Acrobat if it is not already opened. After you close Acrobat however, that process never stops. Opening Outlook will launch a separate outlook.exe process and will function normally.
Any help is greatly appreciated.