VMware Configuration Help Needed
Posted on 2008-11-07
This is my first post, thanks in advance for your help and input. I am new to Virtualization, all advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Dell PE 2850 that I will using in a production environment that will be used as the failover box for IIS and a SQL DB. My plan is to utilize ESXi 3.5 and run two virtual instances:
1. Server 2005 Standard (32-bit) w/SQL Server 2005 Standard
2. Server 2005 Standard (32-bit) (running IIS)
Dell PE 2850 Specs:
2 x Intel Xeon 3.60GHz CPU
6 x 146GB HD, 10K SCSI
Currently, I have RAID configured for 3 RAID 1 drives. I am thinking of the following for each HD:
HD1 = ESXi Host and SQL DB (one small DB)
HD2 = Server 2003 w/SQL
HD3 = Server 2003 /IIS (one site)
The questions I have are:
1. For a failover box, does the above configuration sound fine?
2. When installing the OS on the virtual boxes, what specs should I use: (for both the SQL and IIS box)
-Number of virtual CPUs?
-Hard Drive size?
3. When another virtual Hard Drive is created on HD1 for the Database, how do I get Windows Server to recognize this drive?
4. Is it necessary or best practice to have the DB on a separate HD from the OS?
Please list any other thoughts or concerns you may have.