I have the following problem.
I have two workstations X and Y. They are identical machnes (Acer Extensa E261) running Windows XP SP2 - both only 2 months old
They have the same software and perform the same function - they run an application that connects to a SQL Server.
We were running a gigabit switch. Workstation X wouldn't work at Gigabit speed - it just said it was connected but there were no comms - confirmed with Wireshark. It worked at 100Mbps full duplex, but it worked slowly
Workstation Y worked with no issues.
We had some other issues so I changed the switch back to our old switch - a 100/10 Mbps switch.
Workstation Y seemed to work faster.
Workstation X seems to be a little slower.
They both had trial versions of Mcafee on them - which I had just removed and replaced with Norton's 2009. The only difference I can see between them is that there is an extra process on the faster one - mcproxy.exe - which apparently is some sort of proxy for mcafee. Please can someone tell me that this is the problem or where I can look to solve the problem.