DNS Records Problem Registration
Posted on 2008-11-10
I have a domain controller [ISCADKC] inmy company with DNS server installed.
I have 40 computers joined to this Domain with the right DNS configuration per workstation, but there is 4 records only in the Forward Lookup zone and the Reverse Lookup Zone.
No PTR and Host records for the others...
I have seen this Error in the Event Viewer: ID 6702
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DNS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6702
Time: 8:43:47 AM
DNS server has updated its own host (A) records. In order to ensure that its DS-integrated peer DNS servers are able to replicate with this server, an attempt was made to update them with the new records through dynamic update. An error was encountered during this update, the record data is the error code.
If this DNS server does not have any DS-integrated peers, then this error
should be ignored.
If this DNS server's Active Directory replication partners do not have the correct IP address(es) for this server, they will be unable to replicate with it.
To ensure proper replication:
1) Find this server's Active Directory replication partners that run the DNS server.
2) Open DnsManager and connect in turn to each of the replication partners.
3) On each server, check the host (A record) registration for THIS server.
4) Delete any A records that do NOT correspond to IP addresses of this server.
5) If there are no A records for this server, add at least one A record corresponding to an address on this server, that the replication partner can contact. (In other words, if there multiple IP addresses for this DNS server, add at least one that is on the same network as the Active Directory DNS server you are updating.)
6) Note, that is not necessary to update EVERY replication partner. It is only necessary that the records are fixed up on enough replication partners so that every server that replicates with this server will receive (through replication) the new data.