Attachment size limits and how to set them in Exchange 2007

Posted on 2008-11-10
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-05
I have a user that is trying to send a 17MB attachment and its kicking back. Now we have a mixed environment and the sender is on 2003 but the recipient is on 2007. I checked the Global limits and its more than enough. The 2007 environment inherited the Global limits from the 2003 and the Get-TransportConfig command confirms that.

I then started looking at the Receive Connctors on the two Hub Transport servers we have. Ah ha! The default is 10 MB so I changed them to 20MB. Still fails. I then started looking directly at the servers because I guess you can set limits on the Hub Transport servers. I used the command get-hubtransportserver "server name" | fl.
There are a lot of settings in there but which one pertains to message attachment size limits. I found something called  InternalDsnMaxMessageAttachSize and its set to 10MB by default, but I wasn't sure if I should change it. Can someone help out with this?
Question by:osiexchange
  • 3
LVL 32

Accepted Solution

gupnit earned 1000 total points
ID: 22926642

Author Comment

ID: 22931594
OK, I think I need more help than this. Exchange 2007 is now ok. I can send a 17MB attachment to myself  and my mailbox is on 2007. so everthing is ok on the Exchange 2007 side. My problem is users on the older 2003 environment trying to send to Exchange 2007 mailboxes is where it fails. I have checked everything. Global limits, RGC limits (no limit), SMTP Virtual server limits (none) and mailbox limits (none). Below is the bounce back the Exchange 2003 sender receives.

This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full.  Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again.
            <exchangeserver1.corpit.com  #5.2.3 smtp;450 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host>
 What in 2003 can be blocking this message?

Author Comment

ID: 22931794
One more thing. I can also send myself the 17MB attachment on the 2003 side so that side is ok. Its just going in between 2003 and 2007. RGC? No, I checked it already. Its unlimited.

Author Comment

ID: 22932549
I think I figured it out. I modified the size limit on the Receive Connector I set up on the Exchange 2007 Hub Transport for Internal Relaying. I have a lot of servers with applications that relay off of Exchange 2007 Hub Transport servers and the size limit on that Connector was still 10MB. When I bumped that one up, the message went through. Apparently, when Exchange 2003 is sending to Exchange 2007, the Default Receive Connector was not being used. Instead, the Recieve Connector for relaying I created was being used. Make sense? I don't know but I think that fixed it.

Featured Post

Granular recovery for Microsoft Exchange

With Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange you can choose the Exchange Servers and restore points you’re interested in, and Veeam Explorer will present the contents of those mailbox stores for browsing, searching and exporting.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

On September 18, Experts Exchange launched the first installment of the Help Bell, a new feature for Premium Members, Team Accounts, and Qualified Experts. The Help Bell will serve as an additional tool to help teams increase question visibility.
Are you looking for the options available for exporting EDB files to PST? You may be confused as they are different in different Exchange versions. Here, I will discuss some options available.
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month14 days, 14 hours left to enroll

840 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question