Receive email error #5.2.3

We have an Upgraded Exchange 2007 servers in an SErver 2003 Enviroment, when every I attempt to send an email into the company over 4.5mb I get an error from hotmail :
Reporting-MTA: dns;
Received-From-MTA: dns;BAY117-W38
Arrival-Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:55:14 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;
Action: failed
Status: 5.2.3
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;450 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host

After some research here I've done the following :
Gone to --> ADSIEdit --> Configuration --> Services --> Microsoft Exchange (org) -> Global Settings --> Right Click Message Delivery -> Properties, and checked delivContLength and submissionContLength, they are both set to 80960.

I've checked the receiving user and the limits are not set, thus it should pull it from the global limiter.
The Get-Transportconfig command displays :
ClearCategories                : True
DSNConversionMode              : UseExchangeDSNs
GenerateCopyOfDSNFor           : {5.4.8, 5.4.6, 5.4.4, 5.2.4, 5.2.0, 5.1.4}
InternalSMTPServers            : {}
JournalingReportNdrTo          : <>
MaxDumpsterSizePerStorageGroup : 18MB
MaxDumpsterTime                : 7.00:00:00
MaxReceiveSize                 : 80960KB
MaxRecipientEnvelopeLimit      : 100
MaxSendSize                    : 80960KB
TLSReceiveDomainSecureList     : {}
TLSSendDomainSecureList        : {}
VerifySecureSubmitEnabled      : False
VoicemailJournalingEnabled     : True
WritingBrandingInDSNEnabled    : True
Xexch50Enabled                 : True

I did change the limit's about 1/2hr ago, will I need to reboot to effect changes ? is there a time delay?  HAVE I missed something somewhere ?
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.


you can use this link to troubleshoot NDR's:

you have to set the limit on the inbound connector from your exchange server, I did not modify like you did until now but normally you do not have to reboot anything after modifications in ADSI, you just have to wait for a bit

thegiantsmurfAuthor Commented:
The link helps identify the errors (brilliant bookmarked website)
I still have the problem of emails not getting in.  Is there anything else I can try ?
If you have set the limit of the connector(realy) then do you have an antivirus in your organisation.
The 7 Worst Nightmares of a Sysadmin

Fear not! To defend your business’ IT systems we’re going to shine a light on the seven most sinister terrors that haunt sysadmins. That way you can be sure there’s nothing in your stack waiting to go bump in the night.

thegiantsmurfAuthor Commented:
I have Eset Nod32 running on the server, I dont see how this will effect the limits
try to disable the antivirus and then send a message over 4,5 mb
thegiantsmurfAuthor Commented:
I've now been playing, with the Anti-virus running BUT Marshal for Exchange 2007 off, then emails come in fine.  So I can confirm that Marshal is blocking emails over 4mb.  I've pinged a support question over to them.
ok ,

but maybe you can look in the settings and you can find something.
thegiantsmurfAuthor Commented:
Is there anything (software wise or commands) I can run which will tell me if it's Exchange that's stopping the email from comming in, I've never played with telnet, but will this help me ?
thegiantsmurfAuthor Commented:
Please find attached file, results.txt
It contains the results from the follwing commands from EMS:
Get-receiveconnector | List
Get-sendconnector | List

Is there anything else I can run which will give me the right results ?
Your exchange config looks ok, but I ment to look in the settings of the antivirus, maybe you can find something there, like to enlarge the limit of the permitted delivery for mails, anyway I will try to find some similar topics or a manual for this antivirus to see how it behaves with exchange.

What about  the question that you posted to the antivirus support, did they tell you something?

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
thegiantsmurfAuthor Commented:
The exchange settings are all correct, the problem is solved.
I think it was our firewall which was bouncing the headers, my fellow worker put the limit too low thus it was boucning the headers in the 'Relay' setting of our smoothwall.  Now I've changed it to 50kb not 20kb and also rebooted the domain controllers and  email server.

It could have been the reboot forcing the AD changes, but I've messed about so much with everything.
AD / Exchange / Firewall etc.

Thanks for your help anyway.
thegiantsmurfAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the legup
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.