When trying to "Start a new company" (my first company after installing), after about 10 seconds of the dialog saying it is saving the new company and creating the database, I receive the message:
Microsoft Office Accounting cannot create the company because it cannot connect to the specified location.
The goal is to have the multi-user environment for our small business. Here is what I have done to get to this point (all of this work done on the server, with a user with Administrative rights):
- Created new instance of Sql Server 2005, and named it MSSMLBIZ.
- Using Sql Server Configuration Manager, set instance to use TCP Port 5356.
- Using Sql Server Surface Area Configuration, set instance to allow Local and remote
connections using both TCP/IP and named pipes.
- Installed Microsoft Office Accounting 2008 on a Windows 2003 server running Sql Server 2005.
- Tried to start a new company, only to receive the message described above.
- Tried to open a sample company, only to receive the message a long, seemingly useless message
saying, essentially, that it failed to connect to the server and that SQL Server may not be set to
allow remote connections. First, I'm on the server. Second, I thought I had taken care of allowing
remote connections in the Surface Area Configuration tool.
I'm looking for help to get this multi-user, SQL Server installation MS Office Accounting 2008 off the ground, and I really need some help.