POP3 email saved to Exchange server
Posted on 2008-11-11
I have a small site with 4 users that I am having some issues with. I just installed Windows 2003 SBS (about 8 months ago), the users pull their email from one of the local ISP's and were using Outlook Express. With SBS, I converted them over to Exchange just to save their email and to provide them with some shared calendars.
With this transition, I created a POP3 account in addition to their exchange account and I made the POP3 account their default.
Errors that I get from the users are;
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator.
Receiving emails is not a problem. It pulles them off of the ISP's mail server
Sending seems to be the issue. When I check the ESM Q's, I see that the messages are going out that way even though I've specified that the POP3 account is the primary transport. As far as I'm concerned, there should be no emails going out the ESM Q but they are.
Can someone give me an idea of why this is happening.
They don't want to run an in-house mail server, since they are paying nothing for their email accounts (free with internet access).