Dell dimension 3100 connected to a DSL modem via ethernet cable.
When I connect my laptop to this modem, I have no problems accessing the Internet.
So, the modem and DSL services are OK.
The Dell shows:
* IE will not retrieve any web pages "The address is not valid"
* settings: never dial a connection; LAN settings = auto detect
* I can ping 184.108.40.206, but not www.google.com
* IE gets google if I put in the IP address, but not the URL
What I have tried
* ipconfig /all shows exactly the same results for the Dell as for my laptop
* try static IP address
* disable Bullguard antivirus and firewall
* ipconfig /flushdns [http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781949.aspx
* winsock XP fix [http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
* netsh int ip reset [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
What else can I try?