[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now


Incoming and Outgoing Messages Stuck in Local Delivery Queue

Posted on 2008-11-12
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-05
We experienced a failed drive on our Raid 5 on Friday, and replaced and rebuilt the array.  Everything looked fine, but we soon discovered that were no longer able to receive messages in Outlook.  We were able to send with no errors or bounces, but they too were not reaching their destination.  We're still able to see our public folders and calendars, as well as any existing messages/folders in each respective user's mailbox.

Outlook is also showing each user as "connected" to the server.

The messages appear to be getting stuck in our local delivery queue, and our end users are getting Delivery Status Notification Delays and Failures.  

Usually these problems go away after a reboot, but not in this case.  I've tried starting and stopping various services, SMTP, etc.  forcing queue connections, freezing/unfreezing, as well as reinstalling MS Exchange and service pages, all to no avail.
Question by:mkstyles
  • 3
  • 3

Assisted Solution

sukumade earned 1500 total points
ID: 22940868
There are a lot of things that could be happening, but I hope I can at least try to start you off in the right direction.

First, does your Exchange server connect to a SPAM filter appliance? If so, make sure the rules on it are not preventing inbound/outbound emails.

Second, open Exchange System Manager and check the message delivery options (Global Settings -> Message Delivery right-click and choose properties) and verify none of the settings in there are preventing emails.

Third, check your recipient policies in Exchange System Manager (Recipients -> Recipient Policies) and make sure they are valid.

Fourth, check your routing groups (Administrative Groups -> Routing Groups) and verify everything there is set correctly.

And just out of curiosity, did the IP address of your Exchange server change when you rebuilt the array?
LVL 12

Assisted Solution

DarinTCH earned 500 total points
ID: 22941020
any errors in event viewer - related to this?
Is this EX2003 / IIS6 / Windows Server???

IF is is actually 'crashing' you can use Adplus tool to catch the crash dump file to find more information on this issue.

Debugging Tools for Windows(x64)


286350 How to use ADPlus to troubleshoot "hangs" and "crashes"


Author Comment

ID: 22941199
Yes, Exchange 03, IIS 6, Windows Server 03.  

IP did not change and I'm able to telnet to and from fine.  It appears that all settings and policies are as they were.

What I don't understand is that we're getting postmaster delivery failures delivered to our Outlook inboxes - if -those- can be delivered, why not the regular messages?
Windows Server 2016: All you need to know

Learn about Hyper-V features that increase functionality and usability of Microsoft Windows Server 2016. Also, throughout this eBook, you’ll find some basic PowerShell examples that will help you leverage the scripts in your environments!


Assisted Solution

sukumade earned 1500 total points
ID: 22941435
Go to ESM and go to Administrative Groups -> Servers -> <SERVERNAME> -> Protocols -> SMTP -> right-click on Default SMTP and choose properties.

Verify EVERYTHING in there is set correctly

Author Comment

ID: 22941511
Verified, nothing has changed.

Assisted Solution

sukumade earned 1500 total points
ID: 22941571
Try this in telnet and see if you are able to receive an email this way

HELO hotmail.com
MAIL From: <somerandomuser@hotmail.com>
RCPT To: <myemailaddress@mydomain.com>
From: somerandomuser@hotmail.com
To: myemailaddress@mydomain.com
Subject: Manual SMTP Test Sent Via Telnet
This was a manual test of an smtp server. It was sent via a telnet session. Please delete upon receiving.

Open in new window


Accepted Solution

mkstyles earned 0 total points
ID: 22945849
Thanks for your help guys.  Ive been able to get our email moving again.  

I took our database offline, then used eceutil to repair and then rebuild priv1.edb, and then ran isinteg to fix any remaining data errors.  I then remounted priv1 and all was well  our queued messages sent immediately.

My guess is that something got corrupted in the database during the RAID rebuild.  Although it was not visibly apparent, it was bad enough to prevent mail delivery.  

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

As much as Microsoft wants to kill off PST file support, just as they tried to do with public folders, there are still times when it is useful or downright necessary to export Exchange mailboxes to PST files. Thankfully, it is still possible to e…
In this post, I will showcase the steps for how to create groups in Office 365. Office 365 groups allow for ease of flexibility and collaboration between staff members.
The basic steps you have just learned will be implemented in this video. The basic steps are shown to configure an Exchange DAG in a live working Exchange Server Environment and manage the same (Exchange Server 2010 Software is used in a Windows Ser…
Whether it be Exchange Server Crash Issues, Dirty Shutdown Errors or Failed to mount error, Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery has always got your back. With the help of its easy to understand user interface and 3 simple steps recovery proced…
Suggested Courses

873 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question