Can a Windows Server 2008 domain controller service multiple Active Directory sites?
Posted on 2008-11-13
I have a AD forest that is 2008 forest functional level. I'd like to create an AD site for each physical location in the organization that contains only those subnets for the site. However, I only have domain controllers at a few of those sites. I thought I had read an article somewhere that mentioned that there was a new feature in Server 2008 that allowed a single domain controller to service multiple AD sites. This wasn't a reghack, but a published ability that I thought could be managed through the AD Sites and Services snap-in. However, I'm can not find anything that would let me do this in the tool.
To avoid questions, I'll try to describe the environment:
* Multiple physical locations (let's say 10 for academic reasons)
* Only a few of those locations need domain controllers (let's say 3 for academic reasons)
* The customer wants an AD site for every physical site
* There's a central site in the company that everyone talks to directly. That site has multiple DC's.
* 2 of the remote physical sites will have a single domain controller
* 7 of the sites will not have a domain controller
* The single hub site should be the authentication source for itself and the 7 sites that do not have domain controllers
I came upon a KB article (200498) that mentions doing this for Windows 2000 and 2003. It's basically a reghack to add a SiteCoverage value to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters.
Is this still the only way to allow a DC to service multiple sites or is there something new and cool in 2008 that lets us do this another way? And, I don't remember what article I read that talked about this, so I may have just been smoking something one day and thought I read something that didn't exist. ;)
Also, I know that we can assign subnets from multiple physical sites into the central hub site, but that's not what I'm asking. I want a domain controller (or multiple domain controllers) in ADSiteA to also service ADSiteB that does not have a domain controller.
Thanks in advance for your help!