?
Solved

OWA not working after /disaster recovery on Exchange 2003 Ent

Posted on 2008-11-13
4
Medium Priority
?
1,059 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-05
A little bit of history before the problem.   On Wednesday morning, our Exchange 2003 Ent server locked up causing one of the information stores to become corrupt.   We contacted Microsoft for assistance and we were able to restore functionality to the Exchange server, but because the server locked up again on us we decided to move to new hardware.  Microsoft was able to do the /disaster recovery option to move the Exchange data to the new hardware.   The Exchange site now resides on new hardware and we are up and running again.

The problem:  For some unknown reason, OWA is not working on the new server.   When I attempt to goto http://localhost/exchange, I receive a 404 - File or directory not found.   I need some assistance from the community to start troubleshooting this issue.  

When I look under the Exchsrvr directory, I do see the Exchweb and OMA folders.  In IIS, under the default website I do see the Exchange, exchange-oma, ExchWeb, Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync, OMA and Public sites.   It seems the perhaps the local path to BackOfficeStorage isn't getting resolved (I am guessing)?    I can open up a webpage to http://localhost/oma.   The difference being that the OMA website has an actual directory in the "local path" field instead of0 \\.\BackOfficeStorage\....

The server is Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise SP2.   It is not a domain controller.   All other functionality seems ok with the server such as emails, calendar, public folders.    There is only one Exchange server in the site and OWA is accessed from the outside world via ISA 2006.

I appreciate any help given.   Thanks in advance.  

Edit:  Its 1:22am here central time.   I'm going to bed now but I will check on this in the morning.
0
Comment
Question by:WarehouseOne
4 Comments
 
LVL 1

Expert Comment

by:WakaMang
ID: 22957835
Maybe you can run this script, it recreates you'r IIS virtual dirs

cscript %windir%\system32\iisvdir.vbs /delete w3svc/1/root/Exadmin
cscript %windir%\system32\iisvdir.vbs /delete w3svc/1/root/Exchange
cscript %windir%\system32\iisvdir.vbs /delete w3svc/1/root/ExchWeb
cscript %windir%\system32\iisvdir.vbs /delete w3svc/1/root/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
cscript %windir%\system32\iisvdir.vbs /delete w3svc/1/root/OMA
cscript %windir%\system32\iisvdir.vbs /delete w3svc/1/root/Public
cscript %systemdrive%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs delete ds2mb
net stop "microsoft exchange information store"
net stop "microsoft exchange system attendant"
net start "microsoft exchange system attendant"
net start "microsoft exchange information store"

Open in new window

0
 
LVL 5

Expert Comment

by:vsalyan
ID: 22959634
You may need to re run the Exchange install or especially all the service packs you had on the other server.

You can also recreate your HTTP virtual server from within the System Manager under protocols - HTTP.

Here's a good tutorial on fixing a broken OWA: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Fixing-Damaged-Incorrectly-Configured-OWA-2003-Installation.html.

In my experience you get this kind of problem most frequently when you have incorrect versions of system files or when your IIS metabase doesn't contain the same information that your Exchange install thinks it should.
0
 
LVL 31

Accepted Solution

by:
LeeDerbyshire earned 1500 total points
ID: 22959909
Does the Default Web Site have a Host Header name configured?  Using the server name 'localhost' in your URL may be preventing your request from reaching the Default Web Site.  Also, if you have FBA enabled, but also have the Web Service Extension for Active Server Pages not set to Allowed, this will produce a confusing 404 error.
0
 

Author Comment

by:WarehouseOne
ID: 22960803
vsalyan:  We tried fixing as per your instructions but made no difference.  Thanks for your suggestion.

LeeDerbyshire:  You were correct.   For some reason the localhost URL wasn't working properly.  Pulling up an IP address instead of localhost did work which pointed us in the correct direction for a solution.    To the default website, we added the local host IP address under the web site identification and everything worked afterwards.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Cheers!
0

Featured Post

NEW Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows

Backup and recover physical and cloud-based servers and workstations, as well as endpoint devices that belong to remote users. Avoid downtime and data loss quickly and easily for Windows-based physical or public cloud-based workloads!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

How to effectively resolve the number one email related issue received by helpdesks.
If you have come across a situation where you need to find some EDB mailbox recovery techniques, then here you will find the same. In this article, we will take you through three techniques using which you will be able to perform EDB recovery. You …
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…
This video shows how to quickly and easily deploy an email signature for all users in Office 365 and prevent it from being added to replies and forwards. (the resulting signature is applied on the server level in Exchange Online) The email signat…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month16 days, 19 hours left to enroll

864 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question