Certain Group Policies are not applying - Overlapped I/O operation in progress?

Hello All;

Having a strange group policy problem that I've never seen before.  I have a single domain controller (SBS2003) and all of my domain clients are XP Pro SP2.  GP's have always applied correctly.  Created a new Group Policy specifically for the purpose of ScreenSaver settings.  Created a security group called SCREENSAVER PEEPZ and joined all users to the group that I want the policy to apply to.  Most users are getting the policy no problem, even if it requires a logoff/logon and/or reboot occasionally.  

Some users are not getting the policy even though they are part of the group.  In GP Management Concole, I run the Policy Results Wizard and see the following statistics for these users:

Group Policy Infrastucture failed due to the error listed below.
Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

Now after this error occurs, GP objects that should have been processed after the error are never applied.  I've tried rebooting everything, including the domain controller as well as the client machines, several times.  Still no go.  

Any ideas?
zagnutttt4Network SpecialistAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Dusan_BajicCommented:
Click Start / Run and type "control keymgr.dll"
Delete the stored password for the Domain Controller that you are connected to.
 
Run GPUpdate /force from the command promp
0
zagnutttt4Network SpecialistAuthor Commented:
Just tried it - here's what happened:

I ran "control keymgr.dll".

The login box displays the correct domain controller.  The username was listed as the profile that outlook is using on this machine, it did not have the user account listed that the machine is actually logged onto the domain as.  So, in the box I changed the username to DOMAIN\username where username represents the correct username.   The password box was blank, so I filled in the correct password.  Gpupdate /force shows a successful update in the command prompt window.  GP management console verifies that the same thing as before is happening, however.  Still not getting the policy in question applied, still got I/O error and Group Policy Infrastructure failed.
0
Dusan_BajicCommented:
Any errors in Event log?
0
Protecting & Securing Your Critical Data

Considering 93 percent of companies file for bankruptcy within 12 months of a disaster that blocked access to their data for 10 days or more, planning for the worst is just smart business. Learn how Acronis Backup integrates security at every stage

zagnutttt4Network SpecialistAuthor Commented:
For this particular user, yes.  On the domain controller, I repeatedly see:

Event ID 1030
"Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects.  Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.".

Also I get:

Event ID 1517
"Windows saved user DOMAIN\username registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off.  The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed.  The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use."

0
Dusan_BajicCommented:
Click Start / Run and type "control keymgr.dll"
_Remove_ everything
 
Run GPUpdate /force from the command prompt
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
zagnutttt4Network SpecialistAuthor Commented:
By remove everything - you mean literally remove everything from the box that pops up, including server name, username, and password?
0
zagnutttt4Network SpecialistAuthor Commented:
It worked!!  Amazingly, after deleting everything from that box, gpupdate finally worked all the way through.  I confirmed this with RSOP.  

However, after that, I logged off and back on.  Back to the same thing.

So, I now know that clearing the logon credentials using control keymgr.dll will temporarily allow me to squeeze this policy out to the users that have not received it yet.  

However, the main questions is A.)  What causes this behavior  and B.) Why does it come back after caching the credentials again and C.) How to permanently fix it?
0
Dusan_BajicCommented:
Yes, Microsoft recommends to "... delete stored passwords" , but I've seen this already and deleting everything helped.

 
0
Dusan_BajicCommented:
My knowledge about this issue ends there :), and even http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555651 doesn't give any additional info.
If you wish to investigate further, I would try removing client from domain and joining it back or something like that...  
0
zagnutttt4Network SpecialistAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the help!!  I never would have thought to delete the store passwords!!  I am awarding points and I will continue my research as well, but at least for now I know how to troubleshoot this problem.    Thanks again!!
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
OS Security

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.