Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 853
  • Last Modified:

Unintalling : Error 1606 "Cannot Access Network Location x|Ñ"

Hi all,

I am trying to uninstall a program (Blueworld Lasso Professional 6.0.4)
I have an error 1606 "Cannot Access Network Location x|Ñ" when the uninstaller tries to compute the needed space.
I understand that some location (probably a network share / mapped drive) that was available during install is no longer available, but I just can't find which one.
Common solutions to this problem (from MS knowledge base or InstallShield knowledge base) advise to check the registry for incorrect paths in "shell folders" and "user shell folders". All these paths are correct on my system.

I thought that reinstalling the application would do the trick, so I tried to trick it into thinking that it was not installed by removing its registry key from HKLM\Software, but I still get the error (even though it does indeed try a new install).

Any idea ?
Note that the location x|Ñ given is not exact, actually the second character looks more like a null character than like a pipe character, but I'm not sure about that.

Any help would be really appreciated !
0
thewild
Asked:
thewild
  • 5
  • 2
2 Solutions
 
Bruce PieterseTechnical LeadCommented:
Hi,

can you post a screenshot? It might also be looking for the .msi file, if you can locate it, maybe it would fix the problem.

Ciao
0
 
thewildAuthor Commented:
I can do better thant that. I checked the log file created by the (un)installer, and the exact problematic path is :
Error 1606. Could not access network location xÑ.

That's a very dirty copy/paste, the unreadable character here is a SOH (start of heading) character.

I tried using filemon (from sysinternals), but it logs absolutely nothing from msiexec except its writing to the log file.
0
 
thewildAuthor Commented:
Hi found the problematic commands in the installer log file (I had to run it from the command line with verbose logging) :

MSI (s) (F0!F8) [12:53:02:492]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying System16Folder property. Its current value is 'C:\WINDOWS\system\'. Its new value: 'xÑxÑ'.
MSI (s) (F0!F8) [12:53:02:492]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying System16Folder property. Its current value is 'xÑxÑ'. Its new value: 'xÑ'.


No idea about where this comes from, or about how to fix it though...
0
VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

 
Vadim RappCommented:
Your property change is after some Action. Need to know the action. The best would be if you could post the whole log.
0
 
thewildAuthor Commented:
Sure, I should have thought about it in the first place !
Here you go !
debug.log
0
 
Vadim RappCommented:
as expected, this is done by their custom action - it modifies the property. The only hint is in custom action name "setwebroot" - so maybe you could think if there's anything unusual in your IIS configuration. Maybe install, or uninstall, or reinstall IIS.
Also you can try to repair this product, maybe it will get through; and then uninstall.

If not, then use installer cleanup utility and remove this. If you want clean removal, you can install it again and then uninstall gracefully (if it works then).
0
 
thewildAuthor Commented:
Uninstalling/reinstalling IIS is not possible.
The only unusual thing I can thin of is that I removed the "default web site". Also, this is IIS 6.0, and the software is quite old so maybe it does not like my server. It installed fine the first time though !

I already tried a repair, and it halted with the same error.
I already tried to remove the software manually (just removed the entries in HKLM\Software), but the re-installation did not want to run...

I think I'll have to live with it...
0
 
thewildAuthor Commented:
vdimrapp1, you were right about the "setwebroot".
Your suggestion to reinstall IIS was a bit extreme, but as I remembered that this application installed a virtual directory under the default web site, I recreated a fake "Default Web Site".
I had to give it the ID 1 in the IIS metabase using metabase explorer, then the application reinstalled itself just fine !

Thanks for your help !
0

Featured Post

Get your problem seen by more experts

Be seen. Boost your question’s priority for more expert views and faster solutions

  • 5
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now