HP Color LaserJet 4550 - Which parallel-USB adapter?

Posted on 2008-11-18
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-12-15
I have a user with an HP Color LaserJet 4550 Printer. The user ordered a "GUC1284B USB to IEEE-1284 Bi-directional Printer Cable from IOGEAR®" from Dell, but upon receiving the part she found that the adapter did not fit the printer port or printer cable. What part do I need to connect this printer via USB to a PC running XP or Vista?
Question by:nicholasjwolf
1 Comment
LVL 63

Accepted Solution

☠ MASQ ☠ earned 2000 total points
ID: 22989713
You'll need a USB to Mini-Centronics (IEEE 1284-C or IEEE 1284C) cable but even then USB to Centronics is not 100% reliable with bi-directional support for printing. You might be better off connecting it via ethernet to a JetDirect box.

Cable recommended by HP forums here:

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Printers have changed substantially in the last 30 or so years, not just in technical capabilities but in cost and usage as well.  Printers were originally used for interfacing with the operator, not necessarily for printing copy or pictures. In …
Computer running slow? Taking forever to open a folder, documents, or any programs that you didn't have an issue with before? Here are a few steps to help speed it up. The programs mentioned below ALL have free versions, you can buy them if you w…
Please read the paragraph below before following the instructions in the video — there are important caveats in the paragraph that I did not mention in the video. If your PaperPort 12 or PaperPort 14 is failing to start, or crashing, or hanging, …
In a question here at Experts Exchange (https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29062564/Adobe-acrobat-reader-DC.html), a member asked how to create a signature in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (the free Reader product, not the paid, full Acrobat produ…

862 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question