Where to start....
Small Business Server 2003 R2 running on a Dell 2900 tower server that is maybe 6 months old. 4gb RAM, 75% free HDD space, single quad core processor. Has all Windows updates applied. Has all updated firmware as well as latest Dell drivers for all hardware. Physically removed TOE feature.
Running domain and DNS functions. No Exchange and our Cisco ASA runs DHCP for the dozen XP clients on the domain. The main application that runs on this server has a Pervasive SQL database backend with the client loaded on each workstation. Application is a dental practice software called Practiceworks. System also runs an X-ray application called Cliniview.
Problems...We have been fighting the following problems for a few weeks/months now. What happens first (or at least what is noticed first) is our users get thrown out of their Practiceworks application and can not get back in. Application talks to Pervasive on the server. Preceding or coinciding with this problem is usually a very long "applying personal settings" delay if the users reboot their workstations and log back into the domain. If you try to RDP to the SBS box, you will also usually get hung up at the "applying personal settings" as well for quite some time, if not indefinately. We did install VNC on this server and have no problem getting in with VNC even while someone else is simultaneously waiting at the applying personal settings delay with RDP'ing in.
One other symptom I just noticed today is that after users have reported being kicked out of the system and the applying personal settings delays have begun...on the SBS console if I open a command prompt and type GPRESULT...I get an Access Denied error. When the server is rebooted all these problems go away, and when I go back to the command prompt and type GPRESULT I get the expected results.
After reboot, system will only usually last a day or two before the same problems start appearing again and another reboot is necessary. I have noticed that if I reboot on friday after hours, there appears to be no system deterioration over the weekend (nobody working), but usually by tuesday afternoon the server will require a reboot. So it seems that deterioration is accelerated by use.
Event logs are pretty clean. A few yellows but no reds. Absolutely nothing to indicate any type of issue as far as I can see. Nothing in the DNS or directory service logs.
I know it's related to the gpresult access denied error, but I just can't seem to put it together. Hope I included enough info to get someone started in helping me out. Thanks for looking...