Exchange Licenses for oma users

NSSUK used Ask the Experts™
I will be adding approx 40 users onto a exchange 2003 server using windows mobile devices none of the users will use outlook just the mobile devices. do i require a license CAL for exchange for each user ?

Also is there a way of managing the size of there folders (sent items in particular) without using Outlook.
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
Site Reliability Engineer
Most Valuable Expert 2011

Yes, you will still need a CAL for these users (or their devices, depending on your user/device CAL setup), since they are using an Exchange mailbox and communicating with the Exchange Server. They will also need a Windows Server CAL, unless of course the users in question already have a user CAL for when using the general network resources.

You can manage folder sizes using Mailbox Manager, a feature which is set as part of recipient policies. You can set which folders to process, what to delete based on size and age criteria and a few other things. There's a few steps on how to do it in the lower part of


Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial