I have a user whose computer stopped recognizing his mouse. He cannot state what may have caused the problem. When a USB mouse is plugged in it gives the error - USB device not recognized.
He also had a problem with his PS/2 pointer device not working but I fixed that with ccleaner. Now he can use a serial or PS/2 mouse but I still cannot fix the USB mouse issue. It just says usb device not recognized. No errors on boot up and no exclamations in device manager excluded the one that was there for the PS/2 pointer problem. It also hangs slighlty on 'Applying Computer Settings' on boot up but eventually chugs through. When plugged in the laser turns on so it is getting power. Also the usb device detects other items like a key card without issue.
Troubleshooting I have tried:
1. I tried several different usb mouse / pointing devices including logitech, fellowes, wireless, and a track ball. No luck, it recognizes none. Plugged in a key card, which worked fine.
2. I have tried booting in safe mode and disabling all the usb devices in device manager, restarting and enabling them in normal mode, and restarting again with a usb mouse attached to see if it picks up the mouse. No luck.
3. I have deleted all the usb devices so they could autodetect on reboot. It did not help.
4. I have run ccleaner on the registry as I suspect a corrupt usb.inf entry in the registry. It did not help, although I'm not sure ccleaner would fix that.
5. When I try to 'update driver' for any of the listed usb drives the computer reboots immediately upon starting the search. No crash errors are displayed during startup.
6. Copied over the usb.inf files in c:\windows\system32\inf\driver folder with the same files from a sister computer, deleted the usb drives so they would reread the usb.inf file on reboot. Did not help.
7. Copied over the usb driver files usbport.sys, usbd.sys, usbhub.sys, usbuhci.sys. and usbui.dll from the sister computer. Deleted all usb ports and rebooted to reread the new drivers on start up. Did not help.
8. Threw mouse at usb port. Kicked mouse. Kicked computer. Kicked mouse again. Did not help.