Avatar of WDit
WDitFlag for United States of America asked on

LogonServer issue

We have a remote site in which we have only two people left.  Due to downsizing we don't have the IT staff to stay on top of a lot of things.  Because of this we have decided to remove all servers from the site including the domain controller.
Now for our issue.  After running DCPROMO on the server both workstations are still trying to run the logon script from the now decommissioned server.  The LOGONSERVER variable is now pointing to a different remote site and not the central office.  We tried to flush the dsn cache on the local workstations but that didn't change anything.  We checked AD Sites and Services to make sure the subnet was pointing to the central office and it is.  I know there has got to be something simple that we missed in this process.  Any help you can provide is most appreciated.
FYI the workstations both have static IP's set and are pointing to DNS servers in the central office.

Thank you in advance.
Active Directory

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment
Mike Kline

8/22/2022 - Mon
Mike Kline

What server is listed if you run a  "set L" when the workstations logon.


Download adsi tool and use it to remove the old dc (login server) record in AD. Here is the instruction of what needs to be removed:
1. Use ADSIEdit to delete the computer account in the OU=Domain
NOTE : The FRS subscriber object is deleted when the computer object is
deleted, since it is a child of the computer account.
2. Use ADSIEdit to delete the FRS member object in CN=Domain System Volume
(SYSVOL share),CN=file replication service,CN=system....
3. In the DNS console, use the DNS MMC to delete the cname (also known as the
Alias) record in the _msdcs container.
4. In the DNS console, use the DNS MMC to delete the A (also known as the Host)
record in DNS.
5. If the deleted computer was the last domain controller in a child domain and the
child domain was also deleted, use ADSIEdit to delete the trustDomain object for
the child in CN=System, DC=domain, DC=domain, Domain NC.



Here's more information to help with a solution:

Central office domain controllers
CO-DC-01, CO-DC-02, CO-DC-03

Remote office in which we are having the issue is designated BO

When we run "set L" it shows LA-DC-01.  It should show one of the DC's from the central office.  I hope this helps.

Thx for the quick response mkline71!
This is the best money I have ever spent. I cannot not tell you how many times these folks have saved my bacon. I learn so much from the contributors.


1. the computer account was successfully removed when we used DCPROMO
2. see number one
3. DNS is clean.  I forgot to mention that we clenaed that up.  Sorry.
4. see number three
5. not the case in our environment

Thanks for the response.
Mike Kline

Is everything else working for the remote users other than the logon script?

Yes, everything is working fine.  I can run the script manually and that works fine too.
Get an unlimited membership to EE for less than $4 a week.
Unlimited question asking, solutions, articles and more.

One thing I just noticed is the users home drive is being mapped via Active Directory from the Home Folder setting under the Profile tab of the user object.  It is obviously talking to AD.  Just not running the script.
Mike Kline

Log in or sign up to see answer
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform
Sign up - Free for 7 days
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
See how we're fighting big data
Not exactly the question you had in mind?
Sign up for an EE membership and get your own personalized solution. With an EE membership, you can ask unlimited troubleshooting, research, or opinion questions.
ask a question

Hmmm... the logon script is currently set under the Profile tab of the user object in AD.  Do you think changing it to run via a GP would be better?

Well, we figured it out.  It sure helps to look at everything eh.  Our logon script actually runs a series of scripts that determine what office you are in and based off of that information what printers to map along with drives, etc.  The IP range for the BO office was set to run the logon script only for computers that have the last octet higher than 100.  The thought being that anything lower would be designated as a server or other device.  The two workstations had the last octet set to 21 and 22 respectively, thus they didn't run the logon script completely.  All I can say is how embarrassing.  Thank you to both mkline71 and MightySW.  I think it was mkline71's last comment that prompted us to review the scripts again so I will award the points there.
Experts Exchange is like having an extremely knowledgeable team sitting and waiting for your call. Couldn't do my job half as well as I do without it!
James Murphy

The solution posted my mkline71 was not how we resolved the issue, however, it prompted us to review the logon scripts and find the error.
Mike Kline

Nothing to be embarrassed about, if this stuff was always easy to figure out we wouldn't have jobs :)
Nicely done