Microsoft OneNote 2007 spell check doesn't work
Posted on 2009-02-08
I've been using OneNote 2007 for over 2 years on a XP Pro with SP3 installed. I just started to notice that the spell check doesn't work on it recently. Spell check in Outlook 2007 and Word 2007 does work, but not in OneNote 2007. It does work when I created a new user on my PC and gave that user admin rights OneNote spell checker works. I have U.S. as my default language. Spell checking does work when I select U.K. as my default language within OneNote, but it won't check my other sections in my notebook since it was created with the U.S. as my language. Here is what I did to change it to U.K. language in OneNote only:
Tools -> Set Language and I choose U.K. it will spell check fine. But whenever I use U.S. English it doesn't work. I tried just leaving it on U.K. language, but since my default for Office 2007 is set to U.S. it reverts back to U.S. I tried to change my default language using Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings to U.K. but in OneNote the default language will still remain U.S. even if I open and close One Note or reboot. I have OneNote installed on another PC and I ran a file comparison on the two OneNote folders in the Program files and the files seem to be the matching up the same. I haven't tried logging in as another profile and seeing if it will work. Has another have the same issue or resolved it.
Here are the things I have tried:
- Uninstalled and reinistalled the entire Office 2007 suite which is Word, Outlook Execl, Powerpoint and OneNote 2007
- Uninstalled OneNote several times
- After reinstalling OneNote I try and spell check and it doesn't work.
- I have installed Office 2007 SP1
- Ran the MS Office Diagnostic program several times and it didn't find anything
- Backed up the following files in the folders below and opened OneNote and it still doesn't spell check:
- I then backed up the following in my current profile that is giving me the issue:
- C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0
- C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\UProof
- C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OneNote\12.0
Then I opened OneNote again and it did create the new files in those folders, but it still wasn't able to use the U.S. dictionary to spell check, but the U.K. dictionary worked.
- I tried to have U.K. be my default language in Office 2007 using the Language Tool that comes with Office 2007, but the dictionary still remains U.S. in OneNote.
Just to mention that when I do try and spell check in OneNote by pressing F7 the spell check window appears on the left and the dictionary language is greyed out and can't be selected. If I do select U.K. within OneNote then the drop down won't be greyed out. From there I select U.S. and it greys out again.
But once again if I login to another profile on my PC it works fine. Note sure what I can do in this profile to resolve this issue. I search on other sites and forums and there are others that are experiencing this, but there is no solution for them. Thanks in advance
Update: resolved issue. Had to recreate the registry keys for OneNote for the user that had the issue.