Peer-to-peer WAP?

Posted on 2009-02-10
Last Modified: 2013-12-27
Clients often want to use the office wireless.  Our wireless network is well-configured and 90% of them connect with no issues.  The other 10%, however, have trouble connecting.  I often end up helping them out.  For the most part, I have to modify their system configuration in some way and they're good to go.  Unfortunately, this process ends up time-sink.  If they happen to be in a room with an unused Ethernet drop, I use a cable and hard wire them to the network.  It's simply a quicker fix than the fiddling with their wireless.  Unfortunately, many rooms in the office don't have free Ethernet drops.  I've been thinking about solving the problem as follows:

1. Buying an additional WAP
2. Configuring this WAP up to connect to the other office WAPs in some kind of peer-to-peer configuration
3. Then, when a client was struggling with the wireless, connecting this WAP to the client's laptop with an Ethernet cable, letting the WAP provide the wireless connection rather than the client's problematic wireless card.  

Would this work?  Is a WAP or a wireless bridge the best way to implement this?
Question by:jdana
    1 Comment
    LVL 1

    Accepted Solution

    or just get a wireless extender? ive used them a few times and they work a treat!

    Write Comment

    Please enter a first name

    Please enter a last name

    We will never share this with anyone.

    Featured Post

    Highfive Gives IT Their Time Back

    Highfive is so simple that setting up every meeting room takes just minutes and every employee will be able to start or join a call from any room with ease. Never be called into a meeting just to get it started again. This is how video conferencing should work!

    This article is a step by step guide on how to create a basic PTP link using Ubiquiti airOS devices. This guide can be used on the following Ubiquiti AirMAX devices. Nanostation, Bullets, AirBridge, Nanobeam, NanoBridge to name a few. Please review …
    Tired of waiting for your show or movie to load?  Are buffering issues a constant problem with your internet connection?  Check this article out to see if these simple adjustments are the solution for you.
    This Micro Tutorial will show you how to maximize your wireless card to its maximum capability. This will be demonstrated using Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 wireless card on Windows 8 operating system.
    Viewers will learn how to connect to a wireless network using the network security key. They will also learn how to access the IP address and DNS server for connections that must be done manually. After setting up a router, find the network security…

    759 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

    Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

    Join & Ask a Question

    Need Help in Real-Time?

    Connect with top rated Experts

    11 Experts available now in Live!

    Get 1:1 Help Now