We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

SCCM Clients not reporting installed

it-services asked
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-11-21
I'm in the process of deploying new SCCM clients to all my workstations and for the most part it is going successfully.

I have a few machine however that even though the Client is installed it isn't being reported as being installed on the SCCM console.

When I look at the client logs the ClientLocation.log has the correct management point, the ClientIDManagerStartup.log indicates that the site assignment is correct, execmgr.log lists all the assigned packages that apply to the machine.

So all the client logs indicate that the agent is working correctly but this isn't being indicated on the SCCM console.

Is there anywhere I can find out what is going on?

Watch Question

Think some more info is needed to guide you in the right direction.

Are you running in mixed mode or native mode?

Have you upgraded your schema to support SCCM?

Are the clients in the same subnet as the server?

Hayes JupeIT Director

if the client has found the MP (which according to your logs it has) - its likely you have extended AD, or have a working SLP in place...
when you say "not turning up" - as in they are not in the "all systems" collection?
Coudl it be as simple as the collection hasnt updated? To force a collection update, right click and goto "update collection"
Alteratively, how are you handling clients as far a trusted forests, trsuts all clients etc ?


I'm running in mixed mode and I have updated the schema. I also have a SLP and use WINS to point at it.

I work in a library so we have three forests, one for staff, one for clients and one for infrastructure. There are forest trusts between the infrastructure domain and the other two domains but not between the client and staff domain. The server and the clients are in different subnets

I've extended the schema for the infrastructure domain but I don't know if i need to do the same for the client and staff domains.

When I say "Not turning up" I mean that "Client" property equals no. A record exists for them but the console doesn't recognise that a client has been installed. As far as approving computers I am automatically approving all computers.
IT Director
ok, so in that case, you need to have a look at the logs on the client C:\windows\system32\ccm\logs and see the clients cant contact the server...
common issues are
1) being unable to locate a MP
2) not having defined a site boundary correctly
3) firewall on the client doesnt have exclusions
BUT if your running over 3 forests, your going to need to read - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694003.aspx
and you will need to extend the schema in each forest.
So many places have so much more admin and more problems for creating seperate forests where there is a percieved security boundary instead of a real one - i'd be interested to here the reasoning for you guys having seperate forests

Not the solution you were looking for? Getting a personalized solution is easy.

Ask the Experts


Well the seperate forests were set up prior to me working here but the basic idea was for security so that the client domain couldn't talk to the staff domain.

As for the common issues the logs indicate that the client is able to locate a MP and I'm not running client firewalls.

I could have misconfigured a site boundary but it seems to be working for all other machines.

An odd thing I noticed in the execmgr.log file is that the advertisements assigned to the client are being run even though the console is reporting No client installed.
Hayes JupeIT Director

ahhh just.... i've run into a bunch of schools like that... i dont get it... but anyhoo.... thats what you got.
If dvertisements are being run.... as you say, the client must be working!
Have you rebuilt the machines with OSD via PXE, therefore having duplicate records ?
Is heartbeat discovery seeing the clients in question ?
Did you get anywhere with this? I'm having the same problem with some of my clients after the OS is installed using SCCM... kinda odd...
Access more of Experts Exchange with a free account
Thanks for using Experts Exchange.

Create a free account to continue.

Limited access with a free account allows you to:

  • View three pieces of content (articles, solutions, posts, and videos)
  • Ask the experts questions (counted toward content limit)
  • Customize your dashboard and profile

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.