?
Solved

Subreport could not be shown - SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 - Only on delpoyed Reports via Report Veiwer Web Part - SharePoint Integrated Mode Setup

Posted on 2009-02-12
3
Medium Priority
?
5,364 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-27
I am using Visual Studio 2008, SQL Server 2008 Reporting Servces, WSS 3.0. Reporting Services is configured in SharePoint Integration mode. I am displaying reports on SharePoint pages using the Report Viewer Web Part.

Reports are deployed all in one folder (document library). Top level reports display just fine. When I go to sub report usually by going to he next page (unless the first report is a multiple page report), I get the "Subreport could not be shown" error.

I understand that this error comes up if there are any errors like no parameters passed, or sme other issue with the sub report. All of these errors can be repeated and fixed at design time in VS 2008. I even have VS 2008 installed on the same box that is running SRS 2008 and WSS with the same database.

I get the error only when the report runs in the report viewer web part. If I go to VS 2008 and run the same report and subreport on the same server I get no errors.

Can any one help?

Thanks!
Subreport-Error.jpg
0
Comment
Question by:mrlJamestech
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 14

Assisted Solution

by:Emes
Emes earned 2000 total points
ID: 23624952
Try running the subreport directly (using the same parameters you would from the parent report).  This should give you a better error message.
0
 

Author Comment

by:mrlJamestech
ID: 23625243
Ok, I ran this in a separate viewer. Set the parameters that are usually passed intot the report by the parent using the Report Viewer parameter settings. This was the new error message:

An error occurred during client rendering.
An error has occurred during report processing.
The data source 'PMCC2008' cannot be found.

Is there someway to pass it the data it needs instead of it using the data source?

One other thing. I have a developement server where this works fine parent reports and subreports in the report viewer web part.

The difference between the developent server and the production server is:
1. production server has SSL implemented.
2. It is accessed using an external URL (https://www.company.org) . For my dev box I use http://wssdev02 as the URL which is just the root site.

Not sure if those difference would cause this. Maybe this Alternate Access Mapping related?
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
mrlJamestech earned 0 total points
ID: 23625712
It looks like digging into the expanded error message gave me the simple solution:

My original shared data source was PMCC2005. I changed the name of the data source to PMCC2008 mid way through development. The interesting thing is that in each report you can choose to "Use a shared data source reference" which is what I did. The problem it looks like is that I used the one and only shared data source in my project PMCC2005 from the drop down.

So I changed the name of the shared data source in my project to from PMCC2005 to PMCC2008. Then in each report where I define the data source, I make sure that the report's data source is using PMCC2008 shared data source by selecting it in the drop down. The crazy thing is that this works correctly everywhere else except for the production box. Good practice would be to name all data sources referring to the shared data source in your project the same name as the project's shared data source.

I have added a few images to explain it. Thanks Emes for getting me to the detailed error message!

wrongway.jpg
rightway.jpg
OriginalSharedDataSourceName.jpg
RenamedSharedDataSourceName.jpg
0

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

In this article I will describe the Copy Database Wizard method as one possible migration process and I will add the extra tasks needed for an upgrade when and where is applied so it will cover all.
A while back, I ran into a situation where I was trying to use the calculated columns feature in SharePoint 2013 to do some simple math using values in two lists. Between certain data types not being accessible, and also with trying to make a one to…
In a question here at Experts Exchange (https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29062564/Adobe-acrobat-reader-DC.html), a member asked how to create a signature in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (the free Reader product, not the paid, full Acrobat produ…
Loops Section Overview

850 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question