collapse all child domain to parent domain
Posted on 2009-02-13
Guys, Can you help out Below is my scenario
I have single parent domain (forest) and 5 child domains I would like to keep just Parent domain and get rid of child domain..
What I like to do,
1. remove all child domain while migrate OU, user and etc to Parent domain.
2. all access rights and password need to be migrate along
3. If possible, I would like to do a copy AD to parent, so, this can be done offline without interfere with users. So, it is safest way. (from what I search, this cannt be done)
4. How do you guys handle the file server where security permission assigned to the each of group folder. Once everything move to parent domain, I have a feeling that this need to be redone manually
5. User profile (I have local profile setting), will user computer creaet new profile when they lock on parent domain after migration complete.
what I have done:
1. ADMT v3 tool to migrate
- this seems ok to the certain extend. However, when I run a test, migrated user seem to be clean, no group member or access rights get migrated. Password was transfer along but user need to change password after logon. have anyone try on Quest AD migrator by any chance?
2. I am thinking about LDIFDE utility, but it will only copy OU and user. Password will be null and every accounts will be disable. Still thinking better way to do it. But good things is that I can just restruct parent domain without having to worry about users.
Anyone can help or any idea are greatly appreciated.