Barebones kit. No BIOS, no beeps.
I bought a barebones kit from CompUSA, figuring everything would be compatible. Here it is.
1. Asus M3N78 PRO Motherboard
2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Processor ADX6000IAA6CZ - 3.0GHz
3. RAM Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024) - came with kit
Corsair 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x1024MB) DHX - bought extra
4. Video - I am plugging the provided slot adaptor into the VGA plug on the motherboard.
5. PSU - Ultra LS600 Lifetime Series 600W Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-Express
6. DVD/CD - Sony DRU-V200S/BR DVD Rewritable Drive SATA
7. HD - Seagate 250GB Serial ATA w/NCQ 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
8. Case - Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower
9. Fan/heat sink -Masscool 5F9001B1H3 CPU Cooling Fan - Socket 939, 940, AM2
Using same numbers from above....
1. The first powerup, nothing happened, except the fan operated. No BIOS. No beeps. On the second, there was a spark, a flame, and smoke at the location of the CPU fan plug. This is four pin, but compatible with 3 pin. On subsequent tests this still provides power, but weakly. The other (3 pin) plug/jack does provide good fan speed, but Asus does not recommend using that.
2. Clamping down the heat/sink and fan was extremely hard. Can a CPU or mobo be damaged that way?
3. I admit I had doubts about the RAM configuration, even before trying to power up. The manual is not clear to me. Can anyone tell me how it should go, and how I should go about testing to see if RAM is the start up problem?
4. I do have a card, but thought it better to get it running without the card. The card is XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card - 768MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, SLI Ready.
6.+ 7. I also doubt myself here. SATA is new to me. The PSU had a plug for the DVD, but I had to use an adaptor (provided) for the HD. I've tried moving the signal cables around in SATA 1-4. Is there a proper configuration for this? It's not in my documentation.
9. See #2 above