my windows xp desktop and taskbar recently dissapeared.
what happened before:
windows update failed on reboot and blue screened my laptop.
1. i log in and my desktop/taskbar is gone, so i could only use taskmgr command line to open applications,
2. explorer.exe doesnt do anything,
3. googled it and tried a solution by changing the shell value in regedit to explorer1.exe, and now i can access explorer via taskmgr like c:/program files, etc.. to backup my files.
4. backed up my files,
5. tried windows restore to much earlier time, still the same.
6. tried kellys korner program, no luck.
7. tried registry mechanic, no luck
8. tried ad aware, found win32.generic.pws , removed it, and still no luck
i am at a loss what else to do here, im ready to wipe it clean i have everything backed up to another partition, but reinstalling everything is a hassle....